Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in alleged assault

Man charged in alleged assault
Police say a man has been charged after an alleged assault last month where the victim reported waking up to a strange man groping her in her home. Surrey RCMP say they responded to the report at about 3:15 a-m on July 20th and the victim told officers that the suspect ran away when she screamed for help.

Man charged in alleged assault

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan
Police in the Okanagan are warning the public of a new Facebook marketplace scam that involves sellers as the victims. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the would-be buyer offers to pay for the items and claims they will electronically transfer the money, telling the seller to check their email.

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more
Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. have already begun a phased shutdown of their networks as the deadline approaches to come to an agreement with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference for a new labour contract. Unless deals are reached, the companies plan to lock out workers early Thursday and the union says it's prepared to call a strike that day.

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says
A new Statistics Canada report says people with disabilities are twice as likely to live in food insecure households than those without disabilities. The report used data from the 2021 Canadian Income Survey and found 26.4 per cent of respondents with a disability experienced some level of food insecurity, compared to 12.5 per cent of people without disabilities.

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says