Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta MLA Rob Anderson says security boosted after getting death threat

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2015 02:39 PM

    EDMONTON — A former Opposition member who recently crossed the floor to join Alberta's governing Tories says Mounties have stepped up security at his home and office following a phone threat to kill him.

    "I have received several disturbing emails and phone calls over the last couple of weeks, including a death threat left on my personal voice mail," Rob Anderson posted to his Facebook page Thursday.

    "I have provided the recording and details to local law enforcement and they are currently investigating.

    "The RCMP has been very thorough throughout this process and has provided increased security and monitoring of my office and personal residence."

    Anderson, who now sits as a backbencher, could not be reached and a spokesperson for Premier Jim Prentice declined comment.

    Alberta RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Josee Valiquette wouldn't say if an investigation is underway.

    Earlier this week, Anderson announced he will not seek re-election, in part because of the angry reaction that followed his decision last month, along with eight other Wildrose party members, to join Prentice's Progressive Conservatives.

    The move left the official Opposition with five legislature members compared with 72 for the Tories.

    It also brought a fusillade of public criticism. Some have characterized the former Wildrosers as opportunistic sellouts who abandoned the democratic principle that strong governments involve healthy opposition.

    "Although this experience has been very difficult for (my wife) Anita and I, we want you to know that our family is safe," Anderson said on Facebook.

    "We also want to thank the many friends and supporters that continue to reach out with such kindness, and acknowledge that the majority of people who have disagreed with my decision to join the government have done so in a respectful manner.

    "We will not let a few extremists cloud our view of the people and community we have come to love so dearly."

    Anderson, a two-term member of the legislature, said he will focus on helping Prentice craft the next budget and advocate for 24-hour health care in his Airdrie constituency.

    Anderson joined the Tories along with Wildrose leader Danielle Smith and seven others on Dec. 17. It was a second crossing for Anderson, who was elected as a PC member in the 2008 campaign, but quit to join the Wildrose two years later.

    Anderson and Smith have been singled out for heightened criticism because she was head of the party and he was her house leader.

    There have been conflicting reports on whether the nine were promised cabinet posts or guaranteed PC nominations in return for abandoning the Wildrose.

    A draft agreement leaked before the floor-crossings promised that Prentice would lend his support to the candidates. The PC president in Smith's Highwood constituency has already said there will be an open nomination.

    New Wildrose house leader Shayne Saskiw said Thursday he doesn't know what was promised because he dropped out of the plans to switch midway through.

    But he said the mass defection was Smith's idea. She directed Saskiw to initiate a move by meeting with Prentice's chief of staff, he said.

    "I had some of the initial conversations, but in the end I can't tell you which individuals were promised what."

    Smith could not be reached for comment.

    As for Anderson, Saskiw said "any type of threats like that are inappropriate whether it be a politician or a private citizen."

    NDP Leader Rachel Notley declined comment, but said "all Albertans are deeply troubled by what happened (with the floor cross).

    "And they're not just troubled by the actions of the Wildrose. They're also troubled by the actions of Jim Prentice (in accepting them)," she said.

    "It is profoundly disrespectful to the democratic process."

    The Wildrose have 19 of 87 candidates in place for the next election.

    While the vote is set by legislation for the spring of 2016, Prentice has refused to close the door to holding it as early as this spring.

    Saskiw said that would be a mistake, given that Prentice promised during last year's PC leadership campaign to follow the rules.

    "People of this province expect all MLAs right now to be focused squarely on dealing with issues at hand, such as the looming financial crisis (of low oil prices)," he said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Following the money in U.S. politics: Group maps out special-interest cash

    Following the money in U.S. politics: Group maps out special-interest cash
    WASHINGTON — These are busy days for a group that works to map out the money ties in a U.S. political system covered in special-interest cash.

    Following the money in U.S. politics: Group maps out special-interest cash

    Canadian home sales activity stable in November, but 2014 better than expected

    Canadian home sales activity stable in November, but 2014 better than expected
    OTTAWA — The Canadian Real Estate Association raised its outlook for home sales for this year and next as mortgage rates have remained low and helped drive sales.

    Canadian home sales activity stable in November, but 2014 better than expected

    Second Alberta Crash In A Month Kills Multiple Foreign Workers From Philippines

    Second Alberta Crash In A Month Kills Multiple Foreign Workers From Philippines
    RCMP say one woman and two men died when the Ford Mustang they were in lost control on Highway 11 between Red Deer and Rocky Mountain House on Saturday and collided with a five-ton truck heading the other way.

    Second Alberta Crash In A Month Kills Multiple Foreign Workers From Philippines

    Ontario Govt Says Websites Back To Normal

    Ontario Govt Says Websites Back To Normal
    TORONTO - A hacking problem that affected the Ontario government's websites have been resolved and the province says full service is being restored.

    Ontario Govt Says Websites Back To Normal

    No Winner For Saturday's Lotto 649 Jackpot

    No Winner For Saturday's Lotto 649 Jackpot
    TORONTO — The $5 million jackpot in Saturday night`s Lotto 649 draw went unclaimed.

    No Winner For Saturday's Lotto 649 Jackpot

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru
    TORONTO — Educators across Canada are increasingly seeing the value of teaching kids the basics of money management at a young age, but some experts warn the patchwork of programs being offered in schools can only go so far in helping students avoid major money pitfalls down the line.

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru