Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta rules on school library books to start Oct. 1

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jul, 2025 12:25 PM
  • Alberta rules on school library books to start Oct. 1

Alberta's education minister says school libraries must pull explicit, sexual content from their shelves starting Oct. 1.

Demetrios Nicolaides says the province's new standards aren’t about banning books but ensuring kids aren’t exposed to the wrong material for their age.

The government has issued a list of specific sex acts that cannot be explicitly described in library books.

It considers mentions of kissing, hugging or handholding as not sexual in nature and not part of the ban.

Religious texts, such as the Bible, are also exempt.

School boards must review library materials, supervise students’ access, and report to the government, but there will be no additional funding to help them.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions
The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father
Police issued an emergency alert Monday in the search for an armed and dangerous suspect in a double homicide in Calgary. Insp. Lee Wayne with the major crimes unit said 38-year-old Benedict Kaminski was wanted in the killings. He urged residents to be vigilant and not open their doors to strangers.

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates
The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates