Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Mar, 2025 12:13 PM
  • 'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend.

Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

He says B.C. will again be pulling liquor off store shelves from "red" Republican states and that the government will prioritize purchasing Canadian products first, with a focus on provincial products. 

Eby says that change to procurement policy would normally be considered a trade violation, but after Trump's move "all bets are off." 

He says they'll be working closely with Indigenous, business and labour leaders to accelerate major projects in the province, and there will be supports in place for businesses to move their services or products away from the United States to domestic and global markets. 

The premier is encouraging British Columbians to continue focusing on buying local or Canadian goods, and to avoid travel to the United States, if possible.

He says the province's response to Trump's tariffs is a message to Americans that everything is going to cost more "in a way that is noticeable and significant for American families."

He says American manufacturing jobs will be taken by people living in countries other than the United States who have access to the raw materials that Canada provides without tariffs.

Eby says while threats to Canadian sovereignty are "disgusting," the silver lining is that the conflict has brought out a sense of pride and solidarity among all Canadians that has not been seen for a long time.

"We're big enough to stand on our own two feet. This is a moment for us to take an attack, and turn it into a source of strength for ourselves as a province and as a country," he said.

Trump said a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that Canada will be going ahead with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs.

Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods, with $30 billion being applied immediately and the remaining $125 billion landing in 21 days.

Trudeau said Canada also will challenge Trump’s actions by filing dispute resolution claims with the World Trade Organization and through the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Eby's government cancelled its election promise of a $1,000 grocery rebate and froze some public-sector hiring, in advance of what Eby has called economic warfare by Trump.

While Trump's order imposing the tariffs references national security concerns about drugs and illegal immigration at the Canadian border, in a post today on Truth Social he says that if companies move to the U.S. there will be no tariffs.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says
The federal government pushed to end the work stoppage last week, when Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order the 55,000 picketing employees back to work within days if it determined a deal isn't doable before the end of the year.

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is reeling as he loses top cabinet ministers, including Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland who was set to release a key economic update on Monday. Freeland made a surprise declaration she's making her exit from cabinet because the prime minister lost faith in her, after she fought back against some of his policy decisions and he wanted to assign her to a new role.

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.
Squamish RCMP say emergency crews have recovered the body of one of the two people who may have been home after their residence was hit by the same mudslide that closed the Sea to Sky highway. BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. James Grandy says the search continues this evening for a second person who remains unaccounted for.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are warning the public about Interac e-transfer scams after a resident in the city was defrauded of three-thousand dollars. They say victims of this type of scam often receive an email that prompts them to click a link and enter their banking details.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name
A Canadian Navy vessel with the name HMCS Protecteur will again set sail, nearly a decade after the last supply ship with its respected legacy was taken out of service. The new joint support ship — the longest naval vessel ever to be built in Canada — was launched at a rainy ceremony at shipbuilder Seaspan's shipyards in North Vancouver, B.C., attended by dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says with Donald Trump as president, the United States has an open strategy of creating economic uncertainty in other countries to discourage investment outside U.S. borders. Freeland says the incoming Trump administration is proudly economic nationalist and Ottawa is realistic in recognizing that's the case.

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland