Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Mar, 2025 12:13 PM
  • 'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend.

Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

He says B.C. will again be pulling liquor off store shelves from "red" Republican states and that the government will prioritize purchasing Canadian products first, with a focus on provincial products. 

Eby says that change to procurement policy would normally be considered a trade violation, but after Trump's move "all bets are off." 

He says they'll be working closely with Indigenous, business and labour leaders to accelerate major projects in the province, and there will be supports in place for businesses to move their services or products away from the United States to domestic and global markets. 

The premier is encouraging British Columbians to continue focusing on buying local or Canadian goods, and to avoid travel to the United States, if possible.

He says the province's response to Trump's tariffs is a message to Americans that everything is going to cost more "in a way that is noticeable and significant for American families."

He says American manufacturing jobs will be taken by people living in countries other than the United States who have access to the raw materials that Canada provides without tariffs.

Eby says while threats to Canadian sovereignty are "disgusting," the silver lining is that the conflict has brought out a sense of pride and solidarity among all Canadians that has not been seen for a long time.

"We're big enough to stand on our own two feet. This is a moment for us to take an attack, and turn it into a source of strength for ourselves as a province and as a country," he said.

Trump said a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that Canada will be going ahead with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs.

Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods, with $30 billion being applied immediately and the remaining $125 billion landing in 21 days.

Trudeau said Canada also will challenge Trump’s actions by filing dispute resolution claims with the World Trade Organization and through the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Eby's government cancelled its election promise of a $1,000 grocery rebate and froze some public-sector hiring, in advance of what Eby has called economic warfare by Trump.

While Trump's order imposing the tariffs references national security concerns about drugs and illegal immigration at the Canadian border, in a post today on Truth Social he says that if companies move to the U.S. there will be no tariffs.

MORE National ARTICLES

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey
The BC SPCA says it has rescued eight llamas, including a four-month-old baby, from a property in South Surrey. The society says the animals were at large and possibly abandoned when they were found with heavy matting and overgrown toenails.

8 llamas rescued from South Surrey

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike
A Quebec woman whose father died in British Columbia last month says her family has been unable to properly grieve because the Canada Post strike has left his remains in limbo. Emily Walstrom said her father's cremated remains were put into the mail before Canada Post employees walked off the job on Nov. 15. 

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Robson Square ice rink open for winter
Vancouver's Robson Square ice rink is open for the winter. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says the rink, which draws more than 100-thousand skaters annually, will run seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until Feb. 28, 2025. 

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery