Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Mar, 2025 12:13 PM
  • 'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend.

Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

He says B.C. will again be pulling liquor off store shelves from "red" Republican states and that the government will prioritize purchasing Canadian products first, with a focus on provincial products. 

Eby says that change to procurement policy would normally be considered a trade violation, but after Trump's move "all bets are off." 

He says they'll be working closely with Indigenous, business and labour leaders to accelerate major projects in the province, and there will be supports in place for businesses to move their services or products away from the United States to domestic and global markets. 

The premier is encouraging British Columbians to continue focusing on buying local or Canadian goods, and to avoid travel to the United States, if possible.

He says the province's response to Trump's tariffs is a message to Americans that everything is going to cost more "in a way that is noticeable and significant for American families."

He says American manufacturing jobs will be taken by people living in countries other than the United States who have access to the raw materials that Canada provides without tariffs.

Eby says while threats to Canadian sovereignty are "disgusting," the silver lining is that the conflict has brought out a sense of pride and solidarity among all Canadians that has not been seen for a long time.

"We're big enough to stand on our own two feet. This is a moment for us to take an attack, and turn it into a source of strength for ourselves as a province and as a country," he said.

Trump said a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that Canada will be going ahead with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs.

Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods, with $30 billion being applied immediately and the remaining $125 billion landing in 21 days.

Trudeau said Canada also will challenge Trump’s actions by filing dispute resolution claims with the World Trade Organization and through the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Eby's government cancelled its election promise of a $1,000 grocery rebate and froze some public-sector hiring, in advance of what Eby has called economic warfare by Trump.

While Trump's order imposing the tariffs references national security concerns about drugs and illegal immigration at the Canadian border, in a post today on Truth Social he says that if companies move to the U.S. there will be no tariffs.

MORE National ARTICLES

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network
Canada's warmest winter on record is unlikely to make a repeat performance this year, The Weather Network's chief meteorologist says, as a new seasonal forecast suggests the season will try to "salvage its reputation." Chris Scott says the forecast suggests this winter will be generally colder and more impactful than last year, which saw the warmest winter on record — but it still won't be a "start to finish blockbuster" for any of Canada's regions. 

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute
The Quebec Court of Appeal ruled in December 2022 that the provincial and federal governments owed almost $1.6 million to the First Nation in Mashteuiatsh, Que., to make up for years of underfunding. The federal government agreed to pay its share of the money, but Quebec asked the Supreme Court to overturn the decision.

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health says responders have fielded more than 300,000 calls and texts since the launch of the national 988 suicide helpline a year ago. Dr. Allison Crawford, the chief medical officer for the helpline, says people having suicidal thoughts or other mental health distress can get help 24 hours a day, seven days a week no matter where they live in Canada. 

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits
Some Liberal MPs say they think their government should consider expanding the eligibility for an upcoming government rebate to include seniors who are no longer working. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said the government was responding to concerns about the cost of living by temporarily taking the federal sales tax off certain goods and sending $250 cheques to working Canadians in the spring.

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

High risk offender released: VPD

High risk offender released: VPD
Police in Vancouver are warning the public that a high-risk offender has been released to a halfway house in the city. Police say David Morin was released yesterday after being arrested earlier this week for violating the terms of his release.

High risk offender released: VPD