Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Winds make wildfires an erratic adversary: experts

Winds make wildfires an erratic adversary: experts
On Monday, BC Wildfire Service information officer Bryan Zandberg said winds around the Keremeos Creek fire were light, at about 15 kilometres per hour, which allowed firefighters to make good progress building containment lines.

Winds make wildfires an erratic adversary: experts

Elderly woman in hospital after a serious crash in Surrey

Elderly woman in hospital after a serious crash in Surrey
Via release, the Mounties say the elderly female pedestrian stepped off to cross the street was struck by a vehicle heading west bound on 76 Avenue. She was transported to hospital and remains in hospital in serious condition with life-threatening injuries.

Elderly woman in hospital after a serious crash in Surrey

Vernon, B.C., resident looks to recall NDP MLA Harwinder Sandhu

Vernon, B.C., resident looks to recall NDP MLA Harwinder Sandhu
Genevieve Ring says Vernon-Monashee MLA Harwinder Sandhu should be recalled because she is part of the NDP government that has failed residents of British Columbia on the critical issues of COVID-19 and health care. Ring says she is not prepared to wait for the next election scheduled for the fall of 2024 to make changes to improve health care.

Vernon, B.C., resident looks to recall NDP MLA Harwinder Sandhu

Air India starting daily flights between Delhi & Vancouver as of August 31st

Air India starting daily flights between Delhi & Vancouver as of August 31st
As of now only 3 flights are operational between YVR and DEL during the week but flights will be offered every single day at the end of the month. There is increased demand for people to travel after a 2 year pandemic hiatus. 

Air India starting daily flights between Delhi & Vancouver as of August 31st

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack
A statement from Vancouver police says 48-year-old Ibrahim Bakhit faces three separate charges, including counts of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. Court documents show Bakhit remains in custody and is due to return to court on Aug. 22.

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack

Transport committee to investigate airport delays

Transport committee to investigate airport delays
The committee met virtually on Monday and voted unanimously to move forward with a study into the delays. The committee will invite Transport Minister Omar Alghabra to testify and will hold its first hearing by the end of next week.

Transport committee to investigate airport delays