Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in connection to multi-jurisdictional sexual assaults

Man charged in connection to multi-jurisdictional sexual assaults
The sexual assaults in Burnaby included five female victims in the Metrotown area who reported being groped by a stranger. Following his offences in Burnaby, McCorriston travelled to Vancouver where he is alleged to have committed several other offences, including two sexual assaults and an indecent act.

Man charged in connection to multi-jurisdictional sexual assaults

Analysis flags Chinese narrative on 'two Michaels'

Analysis flags Chinese narrative on 'two Michaels'
Rapid Response Mechanism Canada found the effort also seemed intent on fostering confusion or doubt in Canada and internationally about what Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were doing in China before they were detained in late 2018.

Analysis flags Chinese narrative on 'two Michaels'

Rain complicates flood watch in parts of B.C.

Rain complicates flood watch in parts of B.C.
Flood watches remain posted across the Shuswap region, covering the Shuswap, South and North Thompson rivers and their tributaries as well as Quesnel Lake and the Quesnel and Horsefly rivers in the Cariboo region.

Rain complicates flood watch in parts of B.C.

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine
The Vancouver-based miner says it is working alongside Burkinabe authorities is it co-ordinates the dewatering and rehabilitation of the mine. The flooding event is under investigation by the company and government authorities.

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby
The motorcycle was travelling southbound on Willingdon Avenue at the time of the crash, which is believed to have occurred at approximately 1:55 a.m. A 22-year-old motorcyclist was pronounced dead on scene. 

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend
A 23-year-old man from Surrey was leaving a concert at Rogers Arena around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when one of the men was confronted by a group of strangers and was stabbed in the abdomen. The victim was taken to hospital and is expected to survive. The suspects fled and have not been located.

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend