Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police
Interim Ottawa police chief Steve Bell shared that information in a letter to the city's police services board Tuesday night. Bell says in light of that investigation, Ottawa police is limited in what it can share about the circumstances around Saturday's incident, but adds it will work to give as much information as possible to "ensure transparency."

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police

B.C. to release money laundering report

B.C. to release money laundering report
Nearly 200 witnesses testified, including former premier Christy Clark, current and former cabinet ministers, government and gaming industry officials, law enforcement officers and academics.

B.C. to release money laundering report

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.
The District of Sparwood has declared the emergency and posted evacuation alerts for two mobile home parks and several properties along the Elk River after nearly 52 millimetres of rain deluged the community.

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.
Harjit Sajjan, the minister of International Development & the Vancouver MP says $64 million will be used to help rebuild public buildings, $6 million has been set aside for residents to bring their homes up to the same standards, while small- and medium-sized businesses will get $7.2 million to help them restart.

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial
Erik Verstraten told the B.C. Supreme Court trial for Aydin Coban that he found 10,000 euros in cash and a passport belonging to the man during the search of the home near the Dutch city of Tilburg, in January 2014.

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe, and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe,  and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800
As well, each of the operators received a Notice and Order requiring an immediate inspection of their vehicle. Officers removed (towed) one of the vehicles from the scene.

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe, and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800