Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital
The six-storey pavilion, the new surgery centre and renovations to existing buildings are scheduled to be complete in 2026. The second patient-care tower is expected to have 160 new beds and a state-of-the-art cancer treatment centre.

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements
B.C. is contributing more than $2.4 billion to advance key transit and infrastructure priorities, including the Surrey Langley Skytrain and electrification of the bus fleet, as part of its ongoing commitment to fund 40% of the Mayors’ Council 10-Year Vision.

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships
In a news release, Qualtrough says that more than $45 million will go to the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum to help hire 4,000 first-year apprentices in the construction and manufacturing trades.

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships

Victim identified in Surrey, B.C., slaying as Maanav Kinkar

Victim identified in Surrey, B.C., slaying as Maanav Kinkar
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team identifies 18-year-old Burnaby resident Maanav Kinkar as the person found dead in Hazelnut Meadows Park on May 26. Police have not said how Kinkar died but an earlier statement described his injuries as "consistent with suspected foul play."

Victim identified in Surrey, B.C., slaying as Maanav Kinkar

B.C. commits $2.4B to transit in Metro Vancouver

B.C. commits $2.4B to transit in Metro Vancouver
The government says in a news release the funds are part of its commitment to cover 40 per cent of the 10-year vision for transit outlined by the regional mayors' council on regional transportation.

B.C. commits $2.4B to transit in Metro Vancouver

Rainstorm expected to deluge northern B.C.

Rainstorm expected to deluge northern B.C.
A rainfall warning has been issued for the North and South Peace River regions as the weather office says rainfall of up to 50 millimetres is expected between Friday and late Saturday.

Rainstorm expected to deluge northern B.C.