Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

All hands on deck for wildfire fight: B.C. premier

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2021 12:45 PM
  • All hands on deck for wildfire fight: B.C. premier

British Columbia Premier John Horgan says all hands are on deck in the wildfire fight and declaring a provincial state of emergency would have few advantages.

Opposition politicians and members of the Thompson-Nicola Regional District - where 13 per cent of the district is under an evacuation order or alert - are urging Horgan to declare the emergency.

More than 300 wildfires are burning in the province, affecting about 1,500 properties where residents were ordered to leave earlier this week and evacuation alerts remain up for many more, including the entire communities of 100 Mile House, Ashcroft and Cache Creek.

Horgan says he will declare a state of emergency only when advised to by firefighters and Emergency Management BC.

Environment Canada says heat warnings for parts of the central and southern Interior have ended but wildfire smoke means air quality advisories are posted for most of the eastern half of B.C., with conditions not expected to improve through the weekend.

Some parts of the Interior could see showers, but the weather office says any rain in the wildfire-ringed area of 100 Mile House over the next 24 hours could be accompanied by lightning.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau welcomes Chauvin guilty verdict

Trudeau welcomes Chauvin guilty verdict
Derek Chauvin was found guilty Tuesday on all three charges against him: second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Trudeau welcomes Chauvin guilty verdict

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses to elderly pedestrian killed in Downtown Eastside

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses to elderly pedestrian killed in Downtown Eastside
A 67-year-old man was struck and killed by a semi-truck that was travelling down East Cordova Street near Princess Avenue around 9:45 a.m.

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses to elderly pedestrian killed in Downtown Eastside

COVID19 outbreak at Surrey Memorial Hospital: Fraser Health

COVID19 outbreak at Surrey Memorial Hospital: Fraser Health
Upon declaring the outbreak, Fraser Health immediately implemented precautions, including enhanced cleaning as well as contact tracing to protect the health of all staff, medical staff, and patients.

COVID19 outbreak at Surrey Memorial Hospital: Fraser Health

Drugs and guns seized as part of targeted gang enforcement: Surrey RCMP

Drugs and guns seized as part of targeted gang enforcement: Surrey RCMP
Shortly after 11:30 p.m. on April 17, 2021, SGET conducted a traffic stop with a vehicle in the area of Woodland Place and 99 Avenue. During their interactions with the driver, the officer observed a weapon inside the vehicle and subsequently detained the driver for weapons possession.

Drugs and guns seized as part of targeted gang enforcement: Surrey RCMP

B.C. to spend $8.7 billion on COVID recovery

B.C. to spend $8.7 billion on COVID recovery
Finance Minister Selina Robinson said Tuesday the deficit for the 2021-22 budget is projected to be $9.7 billion, lower than the $13.6 billion forecast last December, due to higher-than-expected revenues and lower government spending.

B.C. to spend $8.7 billion on COVID recovery

B.C. budget has millions for addiction treatment

B.C. budget has millions for addiction treatment
Selina Robinson says the budget includes $500 million over three years to expand youth mental health programs, add 195 treatment and recovery beds for substance users and expand programs that respond to the overdose crisis.

B.C. budget has millions for addiction treatment