Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

All miners on surface following rescue operation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:55 AM
  • All miners on surface following rescue operation

The rescue of 39 miners trapped hundreds of metres underground in northern Ontario was complete Wednesday morning after the final worker emerged at the surface "giving fist bumps" to the rescue team.

A spokesman for Vale, the mining company that owns Totten Mine near Sudbury, Ont., said the last miner emerged shortly before 5 a.m.

"Everyone is elated," Jeff Lewis said. "The final four are in good spirits and happy to be back with loved ones."

Lewis said the last miner to emerge from the ground was taken away in an ambulance as a precautionary measure, but "walked onto the ambulance and was giving fist bumps to the mine rescue team in the warm room."

Vale CEO Eduardo Bartolomeo, who was at the mine, praised the team that rescued the miners who became trapped on Sunday.

"Bringing our 39 employees home safe and healthy was our top priority and we're glad that our emergency plans and procedures worked to deliver that outcome," he said in a statement. "All the employees are safe now and deserve our deep respect for their perseverance and strong will."

United Steelworkers, which represents the majority of the trapped miners, also thanked the rescue crews.

"In Sudbury, we have some of the best rescue crews in the entire world – workers who voluntarily train on an ongoing basis, in case an emergency like this ever happens," said Nick Larochelle, president of United Steelworkers union Local 6500.

The union said many rescue workers made four trips per shift as they carried heavy packs of supplies to the miners below.

The workers became trapped on Sunday when a scoop bucket being sent underground detached and blocked the mine shaft. Some of the miners were trapped as deep as 1,200 metres below the surface, the company said.

Vale said the workers stayed in underground "refuge stations" while awaiting rescue, and had access to food, water and medicine.

The rescue operation began on Monday night, with the trapped miners scaling a series of ladders to climb to the surface.

A team of 58 responders from the company's rescue team and the Ontario Mine Rescue agency helped the workers through their long trek up the ladder system, the company said.

Bartolomeo said the company will launch an investigation into what happened so that it "can learn from it and take steps to ensure it never happens again."

The province's Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development also said an inspection team will investigate the incident.

Totten Mine opened in 2014 in Worthington, Ont., and produces copper, nickel and precious metals. It employs about 200 people.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

113 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

113 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
76.3% of all adults in B.C. and 74.6% of those 12 and older have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. In total, 4,165,142 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 710,847 of which are second doses.

113 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules

Couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules
A husband and wife who flew to a remote Yukon community to receive early doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in January have pleaded guilty in a territorial court.    

Couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules

PPE, pandemic-related trash on shorelines: report

PPE, pandemic-related trash on shorelines: report
The Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup 2020 annual report says litter from single-use food and drink packaging nearly doubled last year as restaurant takeout soared during lockdowns and physical distancing kept people outside and apart.

PPE, pandemic-related trash on shorelines: report

Vancouver police fears warm weather, easing restrictions could cause spike in jewelry scams

Vancouver police fears  warm weather, easing restrictions could cause spike in jewelry scams
Vancouver Police are reminding east-side residents to be wary of jewelry scammers, after a Collingwood man was bilked out of thousands of dollars yesterday.    

Vancouver police fears warm weather, easing restrictions could cause spike in jewelry scams

MPs not seeking re-election say their farewells

MPs not seeking re-election say their farewells
Mumilaaq Qaqqaq, the New Democrat MP for Nunavut, used the opportunity to blast Canada as a country built on the oppression of Indigenous People and whose history is "stained with blood."

MPs not seeking re-election say their farewells

Trudeau allowed to check out of quarantine hotel

Trudeau allowed to check out of quarantine hotel
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is being allowed to check out from his quarantine hotel roughly 12 hours after checking in. Trudeau's office says he received his negative COVID-19 test Wednesday morning and can now leave the three-star Ottawa lodging.

Trudeau allowed to check out of quarantine hotel