Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alleged Fredericton Gunman Says He's Innocent, Citing 'Temporary Insanity'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Oct, 2018 11:59 PM
    FREDERICTON — The man charged with murder in a Fredericton shooting spree that left four people dead says he should be "exonerated" immediately because of temporary insanity.
     
     
    "This has to be settled now, so I will be exonerated today," Matthew Raymond told the judge during what was supposed to be a brief appearance Monday in provincial court.
     
     
    "I should not have been in prison at all. I am not guilty due to at least temporary insanity. The evidence is all right there, he has every bit of evidence, it shows exactly what has happened. I am not guilty."
     
     
    The lean, bearded 48-year-old is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Fredericton police constables Sara Burns and Robb Costello, and civilians Donnie Robichaud and Bobbie Lee Wright.
     
     
    The four were gunned down Aug. 10 outside a Fredericton apartment complex in a siege that ended when police shot the gunman.
     
     
    The case returned to court Monday to set a date for a preliminary hearing, but Raymond interrupted as his lawyer addressed Judge Julian Dickson.
     
     
    "Your honour, may I interrupt? I have something really important to say, I have a statement to make," Raymond said.
     
     
    "I am not guilty by, at least, temporary insanity."
     
     
    Dickson told Raymond he would have an opportunity "to purse every possible defence available to you," but Monday's hearing was not the time. 
     
     
    "This is a violation of my rights," said Raymond, who ignored defence lawyer Nathan Gorham's plea to sit down.
     
     
    Gorham said the Crown has revealed most of the evidence against his client, including witness accounts and Raymond's own statements. He said he was trying to help the court move things along quickly.
     
     
    Raymond, wearing an orange jumpsuit and a grey sweatshirt, told the judge his life has been threatened while in jail, including someone who threatened to cut his head off. And he objected to the clothing he had been given to wear.
     
     
    "The clothes I have on, I have on every time I come in here. I do not have the proper clothing at all, it's a violation of my rights," he said. 
     
     
    "I should not even be in these clothes. I have never been given the proper clothes."
     
     
    Raymond has not yet made a formal plea. The case will return to court Oct. 29 to set a date for a preliminary hearing on the first-degree murder charges.
     
     
    Raymond is alleged to have fired upon four people from his apartment window with a long gun, killing two civilians as they loaded a car for a trip, and two police officers who responded to the scene.
     
     
    Costello, 45, was a 20-year police veteran with four children, while Burns, 43, had been an officer for two years and was married with three children.
     
     
    Robichaud, 42, had three children and had recently entered into a relationship with 32-year-old Wright when they were killed.
     
     
    Former friends and acquaintances of Raymond have offered varying memories of the accused murderer, ranging from a boy who retreated into video games, a pleasant supermarket co-worker and an increasingly isolated loner in recent years.
     
     
    Some business owners have described Raymond as becoming reclusive and occasionally unpleasant in the year before the alleged shootings.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

    Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.

    Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

    Vancouver Police Issue Warning About A Series Of Indecent Acts In Mount Pleasant

    Vancouver Police Issue Warning About A Series Of Indecent Acts In Mount Pleasant
    Vancouver Police are investigating several indecent acts in Mount Pleasant, and believe there may be more not yet reported to police.

    Vancouver Police Issue Warning About A Series Of Indecent Acts In Mount Pleasant

    B.C. Woman Killed On Vancouver Island After Being Pinned By Falling Tree

    B.C. Woman Killed On Vancouver Island After Being Pinned By Falling Tree
    A British Columbia resident has been killed by a falling tree on Vancouver Island.

    B.C. Woman Killed On Vancouver Island After Being Pinned By Falling Tree

    Body Of 19-Year-Old Surrey Swimmer Located In Metro Vancouver's Buntzen Lake

    Body Of 19-Year-Old Surrey Swimmer Located In Metro Vancouver's Buntzen Lake
    Cpl. Michael McLaughlin says in a news release that the body of the Surrey man was found in about 40 metres of water near the spot where he was last seen.

    Body Of 19-Year-Old Surrey Swimmer Located In Metro Vancouver's Buntzen Lake

    27-Yr-Old Jalandhar Man Palwinder Singh Shot Dead In Brampton, Ont.

    27-Yr-Old Jalandhar Man Palwinder Singh Shot Dead In Brampton, Ont.
    A 27-year-old Indian man has been shot dead in his home in Canada's Brampton city, police said. Two suspects in the case have surrendered and charged with first-degree murder, while the other two are absconding.

    27-Yr-Old Jalandhar Man Palwinder Singh Shot Dead In Brampton, Ont.

    Banff's Bathroom Bears Returned To The Park After 15 Months Of Rehab In Ontario

    Banff's Bathroom Bears Returned To The Park After 15 Months Of Rehab In Ontario
    Three cubs found abandoned in a washroom along the Trans-Canada Highway in Banff National Park have been returned to the area.

    Banff's Bathroom Bears Returned To The Park After 15 Months Of Rehab In Ontario