Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Almost Half Of EI Sickness-Benefit Recipients Off Work Longer Than Help Lasts

The Canadian Press, 14 Feb, 2019 09:18 PM

    OTTAWA — An internal government survey of people who used federal sickness benefits has found that nearly half were unable to work for longer than the 15 weeks the benefits last.


    The newly released documents detailing the results from a survey of people who did — and did not — claim Employment Insurance sickness benefits showed that of those who did receive payments, 48.6 per cent said they were unable to work for 15 weeks or more.


    Officials reviewing the figures note in a presentation from October that the figure could include people who never returned to work.


    Benefits recipients most often returned to work between 15 and 30 weeks, while 15 per cent of claimants didn't return to work for more than a year, says the presentation obtained by The Canadian Press under the access-to-information law.


    The survey was among the first pieces of research in a sweeping review of the sickness benefit, which hasn't been updated since it was introduced in 1971.


    Advocates say the figures support a years-long push, recently renewed in the House of Commons, to expand the program and provide more weeks of payments.


    Late last week, Liberal MP Mark Eyking kicked off the latest iteration when debate started on his motion to have a committee of MPs study extending the benefits beyond 15 weeks.


    During debate in the House of Commons on Thursday, Eyking argued increasing the number of weeks didn't mean Canadians would use all those weeks. It was simply an option, he said.


    The motion appears to have cross-party support, but New Democrats, who have been pushing the Liberals on the issue, chided the government for its inaction so far.


    Sickness benefits is the only special benefit under employment insurance that the Liberals haven't changed since coming to office in 2015, despite having supported previous proposals to extend benefits.


    Marie-Helene Dube, who has pushed for the change for a decade, said sickness benefits need to match today's reality where people with cancer, for instance, need more than 15 weeks before being well enough to head back to work.


    "This would allow thousands of Canadians to heal properly and return as active citizens in society," said Dube, a cancer survivor who started the campaign "15semaines" — French for 15 weeks.


    "Keeping this inadequate law in place is costing society dearly."


    In 2017, nearly four in 10 beneficiaries maxed out their benefits, a rate that has remained relatively stable for the last five years.


    The documents obtained by The Canadian Press note more claimants than non-claimants in the department's survey said they had "insufficient income to cover living expenses while on sick leave."


    Respondents in the ESDC survey skewed over age 45, which officials noted could affect findings. Figures on benefit usage have shown the older a claimant, the longer he or she usually requires benefits.


    The October presentation notes most illnesses or injuries were not work-related. Almost four in five respondents cited a physical condition for their inability to work, while just under one in five cited a mental-health condition.


    The presentation says that most illnesses "developed recently."


    In 2017, the most recent period for which figures are available, $1.6 billion in benefits was paid out to 379,000 claimants, who on average used 10 weeks of benefits.


    In 2012, the parliamentary budget office estimated that allowing people to claim sickness benefits for up to 50 weeks would cost about $900 million a year, and likely would have required an increase in EI premiums to cover the cost.


    The budget watchdog has been looking into the costs of the program, and is set to report on the effects of possible changes soon.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Police Ask For Help In Finding Man And His Three-Year-Old Son

    B.C. Police Ask For Help In Finding Man And His Three-Year-Old Son
    Police say Jan Stelmaszyk and his son, Matt Bartnik, are believed to be camping, possibly in the Victoria area.

    B.C. Police Ask For Help In Finding Man And His Three-Year-Old Son

    Carbon Price Proceeds To Go Directly To Ontario Residents: Justin Trudeau

    Carbon Price Proceeds To Go Directly To Ontario Residents: Justin Trudeau
    Trudeau made the comments moments after he met with newly elected Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who has begun the process of scrapping the province's cap-and-trade system.

    Carbon Price Proceeds To Go Directly To Ontario Residents: Justin Trudeau

    Travellers Warned About Measles From Infected Passenger Who Landed In Vancouver

    An alert has been issued about the potential spread of measles from an infected passenger who travelled to Vancouver from India on two flights.

    Travellers Warned About Measles From Infected Passenger Who Landed In Vancouver

    WATCH: RCMP Remove Pipeline Protesters From Vancouver’s Ironworkers Memorial Bridge

    WATCH: RCMP Remove Pipeline Protesters From Vancouver’s Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
    VANCOUVER — Greenpeace Canada says a protest that saw a dozen protesters dangling from a Vancouver bridge to block a tanker carrying crude oil from the Trans Mountain pipeline ended Wednesday night.

    WATCH: RCMP Remove Pipeline Protesters From Vancouver’s Ironworkers Memorial Bridge

    Watch Your Step! Falls Sending More Canadians To Hospital, Report Shows

    Watch Your Step! Falls Sending More Canadians To Hospital, Report Shows
    A raised bit of concrete on a sidewalk. An icy patch on the road.  A misstep on the stairs at home. All of these can lead to accidental falls — landing a person not only on the ground, but often also in hospital.

    Watch Your Step! Falls Sending More Canadians To Hospital, Report Shows

    Mail Delivery Au Naturel: Calgary Police Nab Naked Man Driving Canada Post Truck

    Mail Delivery Au Naturel: Calgary Police Nab Naked Man Driving Canada Post Truck
    CALGARY — It was a clothes call for Calgary police on Wednesday when a report came in about a naked man driving a Canada Post truck.

    Mail Delivery Au Naturel: Calgary Police Nab Naked Man Driving Canada Post Truck