Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 May, 2024 10:31 AM
  • Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Another barge went adrift in Vancouver's English Bay, prompting a quick response from the Canadian Coast Guard.

A spokeswoman for the agency says it received the report around 2:30 p.m. and two crews from its Kitsilano base responded within minutes. 

Michelle Imbeau says those crews, with the help of a vessel from the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, were able secure the 200-foot commercial barge in place and prevent it from going onto the beach while they waited for commercial tugs. 

She says two Seaspan tugs arrived around 3:15 p.m. and were able to re-secure the barge.

Imbeau says the incident did not cause any injuries or pollution, but the coast guard is not sure why the barge came loose from its mooring.

This comes more than two years after another runaway barge got stuck at the city's Sunset Beach in November 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh
Mandeep Singh Dosanjh last spoke with family members at approximately 11 a.m. on April 29th. He is believed to have been staying at a hotel along the 8600 block of Alexandra Road in Richmond that evening, but checked out in the early morning hours.

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC
Environment Canada has issued an air quality advisory for Prince George and the surrounding area due to high concentrations of coarse particulate matter, or dust. It says dust levels tend to be highest around busy roads and industrial operations.  

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man from the United States has been sentenced to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to the possession of loaded, restricted and prohibited firearms without a license. A statement from the service says the man was referred for secondary screening while trying to enter Canada at the Pacific Highway border crossing in March.

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident
B-C's police watchdog says it's investigating an incident in Vancouver in which one man was seriously injured. The Independent Investigations Office says Vancouver police reported that a man had been arrested and taken to the department's jail cells last Sunday afternoon.

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP
Burnaby RCMP is advising the public that Metrotown station is shut down due to an ongoing police incident. Burnaby RCMP is looking into the matter alongside Transit Police and to have the situation resovled at the earliest. 

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad
IHIT has identified the victim of the Surrey Guildford shooting on Tuesday as 20 year old Jayden Prasad of Surrey. Mr. Prasad was known to police and initial information suggests that this was a targeted incident with ties to the BC Gang Conflict.   

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad