Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:01 AM
  • Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province.

Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Earthquakes Canada initially reported the quake measured 4.8, then set the magnitude at 4.1, saying it was centred about 44 kilometres northeast of Victoria and 75 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

The agency says the quake would have been lightly felt around Victoria and Vancouver, and by 8:30 a.m. it had received more than 4,200 reports from people who felt it, but there were no reports of damage. 

Many people also took to social media to describe being shaken awake by the tremor, including Vancouver city councillor Peter Meiszner, who says in a post on X that it shook his building in the city's downtown.

The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center says there is no tsunami risk from the latest earthquake.

On Feb. 21, a 4.7 magnitude quake was widely felt across southern B.C., including Victoria and Vancouver, when it struck 24 kilometres northeast of Sechelt, B.C., on the Sunshine Coast.

MORE National ARTICLES

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security
Canada Border Services Agency President Erin O'Gorman and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Michael Duheme will appear at the House of Commons public safety and national security committee. During the presidential race, Trump threatened to deport millions of undocumented people.

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM
Speaking on Tuesday night at an event hosted by the Equal Voice Foundation — an organization dedicated to improving gender representation in Canadian politics — Trudeau said there are regressive forces fighting against women's progress.

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved
More than 15,000 people received medical assistance in dying in Canada in 2023, but federal statistics show the growth in cases has slowed significantly. Health Canada says in its fifth annual report on MAID that the 15,343 people who received help to die last year represented a 15.8 per cent increase from 2022.

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police
A 42-year-old man from Surrey faces charges of impaired operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.  The man is set appear in court in March, while he has also lost his driver's licence for 90 days and the truck was impounded for 24 hours.

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police