Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:01 AM
  • Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province.

Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Earthquakes Canada initially reported the quake measured 4.8, then set the magnitude at 4.1, saying it was centred about 44 kilometres northeast of Victoria and 75 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

The agency says the quake would have been lightly felt around Victoria and Vancouver, and by 8:30 a.m. it had received more than 4,200 reports from people who felt it, but there were no reports of damage. 

Many people also took to social media to describe being shaken awake by the tremor, including Vancouver city councillor Peter Meiszner, who says in a post on X that it shook his building in the city's downtown.

The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center says there is no tsunami risk from the latest earthquake.

On Feb. 21, a 4.7 magnitude quake was widely felt across southern B.C., including Victoria and Vancouver, when it struck 24 kilometres northeast of Sechelt, B.C., on the Sunshine Coast.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 youths stabbed in Langley

2 youths stabbed in Langley
Mounties in Langley say two youth have been taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries after being stabbed in attacks that may be connected. Police say officers responded this morning to a call of a young person who had been stabbed. 

2 youths stabbed in Langley

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say
Police are investigating an assault in downtown Vancouver where a stranger hit a man in the face in an unprovoked attack.  Vancouver Police say the attack happened over the weekend on West Georgia Street in front of the Hudson's Bay store, where surveillance cameras caught the assault on video.

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak
A Canadian is among three climbers missing after they'd planned to climb New Zealand's highest peak. A news release from the New Zealand Police says two Americans, Kurt Blair, 56, and Carlos Romero, 50, and the unnamed Canadian flew into Plateau Hut on Saturday morning and planned to summit Aoraki, also known as Mount Cook.

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building
Fourteen people were arrested on Parliament Hill this morning after staging a sit-in demanding Canada immediately stop sending any weapons to Israel. The protesters from Jews Say No to Genocide Coalition sat shoulder-to-shoulder in the entrance to the Confederation Building, which contains dozens of offices for members of Parliament.

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report
A new report says Canada needs to rethink its approach to health care to help manage rising costs as people age. CSA Group, an organization that helps policymakers develop standards around health and safety, says health care currentlycosts about $12,000 per year for each person 65 years and older, compared to $2,700 for each person younger than 65. 

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial
Defence lawyers for an Ottawa graphic designer facing terror charges over his alleged involvement with the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division say the evidence against their client is flimsy. Closing arguments are wrapping up in the trial of Patrick Macdonald, who pleaded not guilty to three charges of terrorism and hate speech.

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial