Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:01 AM
  • Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province.

Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Earthquakes Canada initially reported the quake measured 4.8, then set the magnitude at 4.1, saying it was centred about 44 kilometres northeast of Victoria and 75 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

The agency says the quake would have been lightly felt around Victoria and Vancouver, and by 8:30 a.m. it had received more than 4,200 reports from people who felt it, but there were no reports of damage. 

Many people also took to social media to describe being shaken awake by the tremor, including Vancouver city councillor Peter Meiszner, who says in a post on X that it shook his building in the city's downtown.

The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center says there is no tsunami risk from the latest earthquake.

On Feb. 21, a 4.7 magnitude quake was widely felt across southern B.C., including Victoria and Vancouver, when it struck 24 kilometres northeast of Sechelt, B.C., on the Sunshine Coast.

MORE National ARTICLES

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead
Fortis Alberta says one of its employees was shot and injured while performing routine work east of Calgary. Mounties in Strathmore say they responded to a shooting in a rural area in Rocky View County around midday Tuesday and found one person dead and another superficially wounded.

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail
WestJet says 16 of its planes have been grounded after a massive hailstorm hit Calgary earlier this week.  The Calgary-based airline says those aircraft — 10 per cent of its fleet — need substantial repairs and inspections before they can fly again. 

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video
Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video.

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests
The Bank of Canada wants the economy to pick up speed again and some members of its governing council are concerned that weak job market conditions could hinder that process. That's according to the central bank's newly released summary of deliberations detailing discussions ahead of the July 24 rate decision. 

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests
The Canadian government has updated its travel advisory for the United Kingdom amid a rash of ongoing demonstrations. It says visitors should "exercise a high degree of caution" in the country and takes note of demonstrations and violent clashes between protesters and police over the past week. 

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson
Mounties in Burnaby say a suspect has now been charged for an arson that happened in 2023. Police say a 33-year-old man is accused of setting fire to a loading bay at a business in Metrotown mall in February last year.

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson