Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:01 AM
  • Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province.

Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Earthquakes Canada initially reported the quake measured 4.8, then set the magnitude at 4.1, saying it was centred about 44 kilometres northeast of Victoria and 75 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

The agency says the quake would have been lightly felt around Victoria and Vancouver, and by 8:30 a.m. it had received more than 4,200 reports from people who felt it, but there were no reports of damage. 

Many people also took to social media to describe being shaken awake by the tremor, including Vancouver city councillor Peter Meiszner, who says in a post on X that it shook his building in the city's downtown.

The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center says there is no tsunami risk from the latest earthquake.

On Feb. 21, a 4.7 magnitude quake was widely felt across southern B.C., including Victoria and Vancouver, when it struck 24 kilometres northeast of Sechelt, B.C., on the Sunshine Coast.

MORE National ARTICLES

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs
Exactly what president-elect Donald Trump plans to do with tariffs on Canada remains a mystery not just to Canada but to most Republicans, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Thursday.

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list
The professional association for B.C. bylaw workers says among its top 10 "interesting" calls received last year included a resident complaining about  a neighbour "purposefully" flatulating in their general direction as a form of harassment. The Local Government Compliance and Enforcement Association of BC released a list of top "interesting, unique and funny calls" received by bylaw departments in the province last year. 

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'
The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people
A man and woman are accused of lighting their Calgary home on fire, triggering an explosion that injured several people last fall. Calgary police and firefighters were called in early October to a residential neighbourhood shortly after the explosion happened.

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says
The "significant pressures" on British Columbia's forest industry have prompted a review of BC Timber Sales, the organization that manages about 20 per cent of the annual allowable cut. Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says in a statement that the review will ensure the sector can continue to evolve to overcome challenges and create a more resilient industry in the future. 

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion
British Columbia Premier David Eby says U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has made a "declaration of economic war" on Canada and B.C. with his proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Eby and Finance Minister Brenda Bailey released costings that suggest the tariffs and a similar response from Canada would cumulatively cost B.C. $69 billion in lost GDP over the four years of the Trump presidency.

David Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion