Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Another giant, invasive hornet found in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Nov, 2020 11:50 PM
  • Another giant, invasive hornet found in B.C.

An Asian giant hornet has been found near Langley, B.C., about five kilometres away from where another so-called murder hornet was discovered last week.

The provincial Agriculture Ministry says in a release that both findings are thought to coincide with a phase in the hornets' life cycle where they leave their nests looking for mates.

It says five of the giant, invasive hornets have been found in the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland since 2019 as a result of public reports, while a nest was destroyed in Nanaimo last year.

The first nest to be discovered in the United States was also destroyed last month near Blaine, Wash., not far from the border with B.C.

The state's agriculture department says in a statement posted Tuesday that scientists collected more than 500 giant hornet specimens in various stages of development from the nest, including 76 queens.

It says it's likely all but one would have been so-called "virgin queens," which emerge from the nest to mate before leaving to find a place to spend the winter and start a new colony the following year.

The department says in a statement that it's aiming to eradicate the hornets from the Pacific Northwest in co-operation with authorities in Canada. "The effort will take required international co-operation, research for better detection tools, and the continued work of vigilant observers from the public to prevent Asian giant hornets from gaining a permanent foothold here," the statement says.

The B.C. Agriculture Ministry, meanwhile, is urging beekeepers and the public to continue reporting any sightings of the hornets that can reach up to five centimetres in length with a wingspan of four to seven centimetres.

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec court denies parents' bid for online classes

Quebec court denies parents' bid for online classes
Quebec Superior Court Justice Frederic Bachand refused the parents' request for a safeguard order that would have given parents immediate access to remote courses for their children as the case awaits trial.

Quebec court denies parents' bid for online classes

Man charged after cougar harassed in national park

Man charged after cougar harassed in national park
Parks Canada says in a statement that its wardens received a report from the public on May 31 about a cougar being bothered by a visitor near Lake Louise, Alta.

Man charged after cougar harassed in national park

U.S. wildfire smoke prompts B.C. health warnings

U.S. wildfire smoke prompts B.C. health warnings
The government recommends rescheduling strenuous outdoor activities to better protect your health during high-risk and very-high-risk air quality warnings.

U.S. wildfire smoke prompts B.C. health warnings

Major crime investigators search for missing man

Major crime investigators search for missing man
The Mounties say in a news release that 55-year-old William Price was reported missing after he failed to show up for work on Aug. 31.

Major crime investigators search for missing man

Lululemon sales reach US$902.9 million

Lululemon sales reach US$902.9 million
Revenues for the period ended Aug. 2 were US$902.9 million, up from US$883.4 million in the prior year.

Lululemon sales reach US$902.9 million

Trust in doctors, premiers grows in pandemic

Trust in doctors, premiers grows in pandemic
A new survey done for Proof Strategies over the Labour Day weekend suggests more than eight in 10 Canadians trust doctors and nearly eight in 10 trust scientists.

Trust in doctors, premiers grows in pandemic