Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Anti-Pipeline Protesters Released Days Before Weeklong Jail Sentences End

The Canadian Press, 20 Aug, 2018 10:32 AM
    MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. — Several pipeline protesters were released from a British Columbia jail on Sunday, a few days before their weeklong sentences were set to end.
     
     
    Seven protesters in all were sentenced to a week in jail on Aug. 15, after pleading guilty to contempt charges in B.C. Supreme Court.
     
     
    Five who were released on Sunday issued a joint statement, saying they were imprisoned because of their opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.
     
     
    In the statement, the five women — who include anti-poverty activist and Order of Canada recipient Jean Swanson — said they are not criminals, but "political prisoners."
     
     
    Swanson said in a phone interview that her four days spent at the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women in Maple Ridge, B.C., had not deterred her in what she said is a fight against climate change.
     
     
    "I don't know how anyone can look at the sky in Vancouver today and say global warming is not an issue," said Swanson, in reference to the smoke and particulate matter from wildfires hazing the skies in southwestern B.C.
     
     
    "We need to do something, we need to stop the insanity."
     
     
    From her perspective as an anti-poverty advocate, Swanson said the Trans Mountain pipeline ties the issues of homelessness, poverty and climate change together.
     
     
    "For all those billions and billions of dollars, governments could actually create jobs building renewable energy ... Governments could end homelessness, they could put clean and safe water on Indigenous reserves."
     
     
    In May, the federal government announced its intent to acquire Trans Mountain from Kinder Morgan Canada.
     
     
    According to recent documents filed with the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission, the sale could cost as much as $1.9 billion more than the initial quote of $4.5 billion.
     
     
    The documents also suggest the project could take another 12 months to finish.
     
     
    More than 200 activists have been arrested for demonstrations against the Trans Mountain project since March.
     
     
    Those released on Sunday also included former B.C. Teachers' Federation president Susan Lambert.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation
    MONTREAL — Quebec's third-largest city is cracking down on sex-related businesses such as erotic massage parlours and swingers' clubs.

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show
      OTTAWA — A budding cross-border data exchange with the United States is quietly helping Canada crack down on immigration violators.

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark
    Premier John Horgan has called a byelection for the riding of Kelowna West on Feb. 14.

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence
    The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S., home on Sept. 19, 2015.

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts
      Police said this week their investigation found the alleged incident didn't happen, just days after the girl and her family gave a detailed account during a high-profile news conference.

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne
    BARRIE, Ont. — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending her comments against hate crime following an alleged attack on an 11-year-old Toronto girl wearing a hijab that later turned out to be untrue.

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne