Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Nov, 2021 03:49 PM
  • Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

OTTAWA - A date has been set for the government to deliver its promised apology to victims of military sexual misconduct.

The Department of National Defence announced Monday that the apology will be delivered on Dec. 13 and come in the three parts.

Defence Minister Anita Anand will apologize on behalf of the government, chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre will do the same for the military and Jody Thomas, the deputy minister at National Defence, will speak for the department.

While officials have previously said they were hoping for an in-person event, the Defence Department says the apology will be delivered virtually and streamed online.

The apology was first promised in 2019 as part of a $600-million settlement deal with current and former service members in several class-action lawsuits.

The government had faced calls from the Royal Canadian Legion and others to deliver the apology before the 18-month window for victims to submit their claims as part of the settlement closed last week.

Nearly 19,000 claims were submitted before the claims period ended last Wednesday, with more than 5,000 already approved for payment. Another 4,000 have also asked to participate in “restorative engagement.”

“We know that our collective failure to build an inclusive workplace culture free from these unacceptable behaviours has hurt our people," Anand, Eyre and Thomas said in a joint statement.

“As part of our efforts to restore relationships with those harmed, we will offer a public apology to all current and former members of the defence team who have been affected by sexual assault and sexual misconduct, including harassment, and discrimination.”

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor
Henry announced restrictions currently in place in the central Okanagan, such as mandatory mask wearing and reduced limits on indoor and outdoor events, will be expanded across the region in an effort to limit the rise in COVID-19 cases.

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul
He said the government is not requiring passports or COVID-19 negative tests from the Afghan passengers and is deferring biometric screening to a third country, where it's safe for evacuees and government officials to be screened.

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault
The frightening incident occurred around 1 p.m. on August 6, as a 25-year-old man was driving on West Georgia Street, near the Vancouver Art Gallery. A panhandler approached the front of his car, blocked his path forward, and started behaving erratically while asking for money.

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll
Seventy-six per cent of respondents to the survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies said they would strongly or somewhat support a vaccine passport like the one Quebec is implementing.

Canadians in favour of vaccine passports: poll

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21
The U.S. does, however, allow Canadians to fly across the border for non-essential purposes. The 17-month long ban on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border was eased by the Canadian government on Aug. 9.

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

NDP heads to residential school grave site

NDP heads to residential school grave site
Late last month, Singh became the first federal leader to meet with Indigenous chiefs at the site of the former Kamloops Indian School after the discovery of what are believed to be the remains of 215 children.

NDP heads to residential school grave site