Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Nov, 2021 03:49 PM
  • Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

OTTAWA - A date has been set for the government to deliver its promised apology to victims of military sexual misconduct.

The Department of National Defence announced Monday that the apology will be delivered on Dec. 13 and come in the three parts.

Defence Minister Anita Anand will apologize on behalf of the government, chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre will do the same for the military and Jody Thomas, the deputy minister at National Defence, will speak for the department.

While officials have previously said they were hoping for an in-person event, the Defence Department says the apology will be delivered virtually and streamed online.

The apology was first promised in 2019 as part of a $600-million settlement deal with current and former service members in several class-action lawsuits.

The government had faced calls from the Royal Canadian Legion and others to deliver the apology before the 18-month window for victims to submit their claims as part of the settlement closed last week.

Nearly 19,000 claims were submitted before the claims period ended last Wednesday, with more than 5,000 already approved for payment. Another 4,000 have also asked to participate in “restorative engagement.”

“We know that our collective failure to build an inclusive workplace culture free from these unacceptable behaviours has hurt our people," Anand, Eyre and Thomas said in a joint statement.

“As part of our efforts to restore relationships with those harmed, we will offer a public apology to all current and former members of the defence team who have been affected by sexual assault and sexual misconduct, including harassment, and discrimination.”

MORE National ARTICLES

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General
Simon officially became Canada's 30th Governor General, and the first Indigenous person to hold the role, during a ceremony Monday morning.As she took her seat at the head of the Senate chamber, her husband, Whit Fraser, turned to her, took a small bow and then sat down next to Simon.

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke
While the longer-term health effects of exposure to wildfire smoke have yet to be thoroughly studied, linkages between disease, death and air pollution in general offer hints, said Dr. Courtney Howard, an emergency physician in Yellowknife.

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help
Karley Desrosiers, fire information officer with the BC Wildfire Service, said 275 fires were burning Friday, down from about 300 earlier in the week.

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help

112 COVID19 cases for Friday

112 COVID19 cases for Friday
B.C. is reporting 112 new cases of COVID-19, including six epi-linked cases, for a total of 148,842 cases in the province.

112 COVID19 cases for Friday

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found
A statement from Squamish RCMP says the hiker missing in the park for two weeks was found safe on Thursday.  A search for 33-year-old Daniel Ring began July 9.

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts
The charges came after an RCMP investigation into spending by senior staff on personal expenses at the provincial legislature.

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts