Sunday, May 29, 2022
ADVT 
National

Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Nov, 2021 03:49 PM
  • Apology for military misconduct set for Dec. 13

OTTAWA - A date has been set for the government to deliver its promised apology to victims of military sexual misconduct.

The Department of National Defence announced Monday that the apology will be delivered on Dec. 13 and come in the three parts.

Defence Minister Anita Anand will apologize on behalf of the government, chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre will do the same for the military and Jody Thomas, the deputy minister at National Defence, will speak for the department.

While officials have previously said they were hoping for an in-person event, the Defence Department says the apology will be delivered virtually and streamed online.

The apology was first promised in 2019 as part of a $600-million settlement deal with current and former service members in several class-action lawsuits.

The government had faced calls from the Royal Canadian Legion and others to deliver the apology before the 18-month window for victims to submit their claims as part of the settlement closed last week.

Nearly 19,000 claims were submitted before the claims period ended last Wednesday, with more than 5,000 already approved for payment. Another 4,000 have also asked to participate in “restorative engagement.”

“We know that our collective failure to build an inclusive workplace culture free from these unacceptable behaviours has hurt our people," Anand, Eyre and Thomas said in a joint statement.

“As part of our efforts to restore relationships with those harmed, we will offer a public apology to all current and former members of the defence team who have been affected by sexual assault and sexual misconduct, including harassment, and discrimination.”

MORE National ARTICLES

Extension granted for money laundering report

Extension granted for money laundering report

An inquiry commission has received a six-month extension to file its final report into money laundering in British Columbia. A statement from the Commission of Inquiry into Money Laundering in B.C. says the provincial government has approved a deadline extension to May 20 from Dec. 15.

Extension granted for money laundering report

424 COVID19 cases for Thursday

424 COVID19 cases for Thursday

There are currently 3,061 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 211,202 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 295 individuals are in hospital and 112 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

424 COVID19 cases for Thursday

CERB recipients set to get debt notices

CERB recipients set to get debt notices

The government now says there are still recipients who owe some or all of the $2,000, specifically those who were not entitled to the aid or didn't collect CERB for at least 20 weeks.

CERB recipients set to get debt notices

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements

Three sources from industry and government say the message was delivered Wednesday as the other two companies competing for the $19-billion contract — U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin and Swedish firm Saab — were told they met the government’s requirements.

 

 

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley

The provincial government says the section of Highway 1 between Chilliwack and Abbotsford has been cleared to reopen and that will connect the Lower Mainland to Highway 3 as major road routes continue to be rebuilt from last week's floods.

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster

The Nicola River, which runs along flood-damaged Highway 8, has changed course and left some farms underwater, Rice says. A subsequent mudslide wiped out the highway and destroyed or damaged dozens of properties in the area.

 

 

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster