Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public that 184 Street is closed between 32 Avenue and 40 Avenue following a single vehicle motor vehicle accident that stuck a hydro pole.

Motor vehicle crash due to collision with a hydro pole leads to road closures in South Surrey

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack
Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets.

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood
Environment Canada is reporting about six millimetres of rain fell at the Prince George airport Tuesday, but doesn't mention the localized, intense thunderstorm that deluged the city's downtown core, flooding several streets.

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader
Horgan announced last week that he'll resign as leader in the fall after the party holds a leadership convention, saying his second bout with cancer left him with little energy for the job. Kahlon says he's throwing his support for the new leader behind Attorney General David Eby, who has yet to announce if he is running.

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three
Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay.

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout
Twenty-two-year-old Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie of Duncan, B.C., were killed by police in a shootout that left six officers injured outside a Bank of Montreal branch in Saanich on June 28.    

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout