Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall
The 15-year-old victim was walking in Pacific Centre Mall around 11:45 a.m. on May 8 when a man approached him from behind and leg-swept him to the ground. The alleged suspect fled after the assault, but was followed by mall security.

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires
Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair says it's advancing $416 million to rebuild homes lost in the 2021 fires, including the razed village of Lytton, in response to a provincial request for disaster financial assistance.

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition
The micro-blogging platform had 229 million users in the first quarter. Musk has signed a $44 billion deal to take over Twitter, of which he will pay $21 billion from his own pocket while the rest will come as a loan from a consortium of banks.

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.
Special weather statements covered mountain passes along the Coquihalla Highway and Highway 3, as flurries added to the two to 10 centimetres dumped earlier in the week.    

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh
The federal NDP leader had dropped by the campaign office for Jen Deck, the Ontario NDP candidate for Peterborough-Kawartha in the provincial election, on Tuesday afternoon.    

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association
The association has released the B.C. home sales figures for April, showing 8,939 properties changed hands last month, a decrease of 34.9 per cent from the record high set in April last year.

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association