Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine
The World Health Organization says it expects to reject the COVID-19 vaccine candidate from Canada's Medicago because of the company's ties to big tobacco. The two-dose Medicago Covifenz vaccine was authorized in Canada last month for adults between 18 and 64 years old.

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey
Based on an inspection it was determined that the vehicles were intentionally lit on fire. Although this incident appears to be targeted, a motive has not yet been determined and the vehicle owners are not known to police.

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 329 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 51 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, eight new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,953.

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has appointed a three-person team including two former deputy ministers and a public policy consultant to do the review.

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response

Amnesty on 'assault-style' firearms extended

Amnesty on 'assault-style' firearms extended
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in May 2020 he was banning more than 1,500 models of firearms, including the AR-15. He also announced owners of these guns would have a two-year amnesty period to come into compliance with the prohibition.

Amnesty on 'assault-style' firearms extended

Feds to drop COVID tests for vaccinated travellers

Feds to drop COVID tests for vaccinated travellers
In February, Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos announced travellers coming to Canada would be able to present a negative rapid-antigen test at the border as an alternative to a more costly and time-consuming molecular test.

Feds to drop COVID tests for vaccinated travellers