Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 21,974 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 310,533 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 893 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 143 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city
A barge that had been the subject of jokes and the star of many photos after becoming stuck on a popular Vancouver beach during a severe storm in November is on its way out. The City of Vancouver says a process is underway to remove the grounded barge from English Bay by taking it apart in pieces.    

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery
Municipal Affairs Minister Josie Osborne says all of village's records and backup servers were lost in last summer's wildfire and the content of many of its bylaws are unknown. The government also announced $8.3 million in funding to support ongoing operations and recovery for the village.

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery

Arson at Guildford apartment building

Arson at Guildford apartment building
Upon attendance, Surrey Fire Service quickly extinguished a fire located in the hallway of the building. Thankfully no injuries were reported, however it appears these fires were intentionally lit.   

Arson at Guildford apartment building

Government moves ahead on replacement for Massey Tunnel

Government moves ahead on replacement for Massey Tunnel
Nine contracts have been awarded for technical and engineering expertise to support the Province’s delivery of the Highway 99 Tunnel Program to replace the Massey Tunnel, which will improve mobility along the corridor between Richmond and Delta.

Government moves ahead on replacement for Massey Tunnel

Governor General tests positive for COVID-19

Governor General tests positive for COVID-19
Gov. Gen. Mary Simon says in a statement on Twitter that she tested positive Wednesday morning and is experiencing mild symptoms. Simon says she will continue to self-isolate and take some time to rest in the coming days.

Governor General tests positive for COVID-19