Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. overdose calls rose by 31 per cent in 2021

B.C. overdose calls rose by 31 per cent in 2021
Paramedics and medical dispatchers in B.C. responded to a record-setting 35,525 overdose calls last year. BC Emergency Health Services says paramedics attended an average of 97 overdose calls a day last year, a 31 per cent increase compared with 2020.

B.C. overdose calls rose by 31 per cent in 2021

Delays increase cost to rebuild Lytton, B.C.

Delays increase cost to rebuild Lytton, B.C.
Insurance losses from a wildfire that wiped out most of Lytton, B.C., have surged to $102 million. The Insurance Bureau of Canada says the amount has risen from an original estimate of $78 million mostly because of delays in rebuilding the village.

Delays increase cost to rebuild Lytton, B.C.

B.C. school district wants staff proof of vaccine

B.C. school district wants staff proof of vaccine
The school board in Delta, B.C., is requiring all its employees to show proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and is giving them less than two months to disclose their status.  Board chair Val Windsor says it is taking the step to reduce the risk of staff and students getting COVID-19.

B.C. school district wants staff proof of vaccine

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani
Reshmi is a South Asian woman and 52 years old. Reshmi’s family and friends, as well as police, are concerned about Reshmi’s well-being and are asking the public to share the information provided above.

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday that the country will have enough third and fourth doses for all eligible Canadians — if or when they're needed — with contracts signed through 2024 with Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate
Only days before Canadian truck drivers were required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to get into the country or face quarantine, the federal government is backing away from the vaccine mandate. The new rule will still take effect for American truckers starting this weekend, with drivers being turned away at the border unless they've been inoculated.

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate