Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 10:07 AM
  • ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

Some southeast Asian leaders see Canada as an anchor for peace in the Indo-Pacific region, as they launch a new strategic partnership at a time when tensions continue to mount over territorial claims in the South China Sea. 

"As a strategic partner, I hope Canada can become an anchor for peace and stability in the region that respects international law, and that encourages co-operation that are more concrete and inclusive, in particular in the Indo-Pacific region," said Indonesian President Joko Widodo as he welcomed Canada into a new strategic partnership on Wednesday.

The partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is considered a symbolic gesture that reflects Canada's expanded presence in the Indo-Pacific region. Trudeau, in a speech to ASEAN leaders Wednesday, said it shows the progress being made on a free-trade agreement between Canada and the 10-nation bloc.

"We share clear commitments to peace and stability, openness and transparency, to development and economic co-operation, and to an understanding that international rules are essential for growth," Trudeau said. 

Trudeau has been meeting with leaders this week on the sidelines of the annual ASEAN summit. 

China, Taiwan and some ASEAN member states -- Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam -- have for decades been locked in an increasingly tense territorial standoff in the South China Sea, where a bulk of global trade transits.

China has upset many countries in the Asia-Pacific region after it released a new official map that lays claim to most of the South China Sea, as well as to contested parts of India and Russia. 

Most of the governments disputing China's claims in the South China Sea are ASEAN members. India, meanwhile, is hosting the G20 talks later this week, which Trudeau is set to attend.

Earlier in the day, Trudeau held private meetings on the sideline of the summit with leaders of Malaysia, Vietnam, Korea, Philippines and Australia. 

During Trudeau's meeting with Prime Minister of Vietnam Pham Minh Chinh and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, the leaders separately discussed their commitment to defending the rules-based international order and having a free and open Indo-Pacific region, said a read out from the prime minister's office. 

Trudeau also expressed interest to ASEAN leaders that Canada would like to join the East Asia Summit and the ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting Plus, which strengthens security and defence co-operation for peace, stability, and development.

A joint statement between Canada and the 10 southeast Asian countries on Wednesday lays out a commitment to tackle global food insecurity and nutritional needs together. It’s part of Canada's commitment to invest in the Indo-Pacific region on green infrastructure and supply chain resilience, especially around food supply.

Delivering a speech at the ASEAN-Indo-Pacific Forum, Trudeau said Canada is focused on investing in renewable energy, sustainable energy and water projects within the region.

Trudeau also pitched Canada as a reliable supplier of natural resources like fertilizer and critical minerals, saying Canada has the clean energy the world needs to help with their green energy transition.

The prime minister has been well received at the summit, with South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol calling Trudeau a close friend, and someone he always wants to run into.

In the evening, Trudeau is set to attend a dinner with the Indonesian president before taking off to Singapore on Thursday, then to the G20 Summit in New Delhi later this week. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty
Ibrahim Ali pleaded not guilty and told the jury through an interpreter that he "did not kill Marrisa Shen." The body of the 13-year-old girl was found in Burnaby's Central Park on July 18, 2017, just hours after her mother had reported her missing.

Man accused of killing B.C. teen pleads not guilty

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt
Sanjay Madan, who served as an IT Director within the Ministry of Education, pleaded guilty to multiple charges of fraud, breach of trust, and money laundering, which he committed by overseeing two complicated schemes to bilk millions of dollars from taxpayers, the Global News reported.

Indo-Canadian gets 10 year jail for stealing $47.4m from Ontario govt

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges
Simranjit (Shally) Singh, 40, appeared in an Albany, N.Y., court Friday to face six counts of alien smuggling for profit and three counts of conspiracy to commit alien smuggling for profit, a day after he was extradited from Canada.

Man extradited to U.S. on human smuggling charges

B.C. 'terror' victim didn't know motive: relative

B.C. 'terror' victim didn't know motive: relative
Transit police say they discovered during their investigation that Kawam, who was born in 1995, made several concerning comments, leading investigators to notify the RCMP Integrated National Security Enforcement Team, who then consulted with the Public Prosecution Service of Canada on the terrorism charges.

B.C. 'terror' victim didn't know motive: relative

Vancouver police deployed to end tent city

Vancouver police deployed to end tent city
The City of Vancouver says it has asked police to help bring a close to the encampment, removing all remaining tents and structures. It says in a statement that it decided to act due to "the growing public safety risk" posed by the encampment on East Hastings Street.    

Vancouver police deployed to end tent city

Abbotsford's MJ Mouat Secondary school was under lockdown

Abbotsford's MJ Mouat Secondary school was under lockdown
Investigators believe the original information provided to police was unfounded and that no active shooter was ever present at the school. Police can confirm that no suspect was ever seen on the school grounds, nor were any shots fired. Further, no students or staff were harmed in this incident.

Abbotsford's MJ Mouat Secondary school was under lockdown