Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tories, NDP demand more action on cost of living

Tories, NDP demand more action on cost of living
Interim Tory leader Candice Bergen accused Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of being “vindictive” in his staunch opposition to her party’s proposals on inflation, saying that by trying to punish her party politically, he is in fact punishing Canadians.

Tories, NDP demand more action on cost of living

B.C. flood risk eases, but water levels still high

B.C. flood risk eases, but water levels still high
The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine ordered the evacuation of the Terrace-area communities of Old Remo, New Remo and Usk on Sunday. It also declared a local state of emergency as the Skeena River flooded low-lying areas, cutting access to the villages.

B.C. flood risk eases, but water levels still high

Almost all heat-dome deaths indoors: B.C. Coroner

Almost all heat-dome deaths indoors: B.C. Coroner
The BC Coroners Service report comes a day after the provincial government announced a two-stage heat response system to help people and communities stay safe as temperatures rise and the threat of heat-related emergencies increase.    

Almost all heat-dome deaths indoors: B.C. Coroner

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting
On June 1, 2022, 20-year-old Benjamin Sultan Sabetnia of Coquitlam, BC was charged with aggravated assault, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, robbery with a firearm and discharging firearm with intent. He has been arrested and remains in custody awaiting his next court appearance.

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend
Alexander Trimble was arrested Sunday morning after Vancouver Police responded to reports of an assault at a home near Bruce Street and East 49th Avenue. He remains in custody.

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen
Coban pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and two counts of possessing child pornography.

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen