Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ballistic missile defence on the table: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2022 10:30 AM
  • Ballistic missile defence on the table: Anand

OTTAWA - Defence Minister Anita Anand says the federal government is weighing whether Canada should join the U.S. in actively defending against intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Anand made the comment this morning as she provided an update of sorts on Ottawa's plans to modernize North America's aging defences with the U.S.

Anand told a conference hosted by the Canadian Global Affairs Institute that the government is taking "a full and comprehensive look" at ballistic missile defence as part of a larger review of what is needed to better protect North America from attack.

Canada famously opted out of the U.S. ballistic missile defence program following an extremely heated national debate in 2005.

Yet the question of whether Canada should reconsider has repeatedly reared its head amid concerns about North Korea's growing nuclear arsenal and souring relations with Russia.

Anand also promised more details soon on how Canada and the U.S. will improve North America's overall defences, which military officials have warned are badly outdated.

MORE National ARTICLES

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala
VISAFF will run from November 11-14 and showcase over 60 films, including 6 features, 5 documentaries, over 30 short films along with various panel discussions and workshops.

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson says substance use and addiction is a public health issue and not a criminal one, which is why the province believes removing possession penalties will help more people get the care they need.

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There are 4,668 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 199,107 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 436 individuals are in hospital and 140 are in intensive care. 

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff
Health Minister Adrian Dix says there are currently 3,325 health-care workers across the province who have not been immunized against COVID-19 in violation of the government's proof-of-vaccination policy for health-care workers.

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween
VPD received 4,550 calls for service during the weekend, including 2,418 which were placed to 9-1-1. That’s a 10 per cent increase in 9-1-1 calls, compared to the same weekend last year.

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.
A statement from the coroner and the Ministry of Public Safety says all the deaths are being investigated and reports on each fatality should be complete by early 2022.

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.