Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ballistic missile defence on the table: Anand

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2022 10:30 AM
  • Ballistic missile defence on the table: Anand

OTTAWA - Defence Minister Anita Anand says the federal government is weighing whether Canada should join the U.S. in actively defending against intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Anand made the comment this morning as she provided an update of sorts on Ottawa's plans to modernize North America's aging defences with the U.S.

Anand told a conference hosted by the Canadian Global Affairs Institute that the government is taking "a full and comprehensive look" at ballistic missile defence as part of a larger review of what is needed to better protect North America from attack.

Canada famously opted out of the U.S. ballistic missile defence program following an extremely heated national debate in 2005.

Yet the question of whether Canada should reconsider has repeatedly reared its head amid concerns about North Korea's growing nuclear arsenal and souring relations with Russia.

Anand also promised more details soon on how Canada and the U.S. will improve North America's overall defences, which military officials have warned are badly outdated.

MORE National ARTICLES

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'
Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.    

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July
The report comes less than a month after chief coroner Lisa Lapointe said January to June was the deadliest ever for drug toxicity in B.C. With data from July added, the report says the 1,204 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths are the highest ever in the first seven months of a year — 28 per cent above the same period last year.    

B.C. overdose crisis unrelenting in July

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
British Columbia has recorded another 652 cases of COVID-19 and 2 related deaths, according to an update posted after officials announced new regional restrictions for part of the Lower Mainland. There has been an uptick in coronavirus hospitalizations to 316, up from 303 on Monday, with 141 patients in ICU.

652 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI
The committee recommends long-term care residents and people living in seniors' homes receive another shot of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine — like Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna — as long as it has been six months since their last shot.

Long-term care residents need boosters: NACI

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo
A message left with his lawyer was not immediately returned and Movassaghi has not responded to the forfeiture action, but court documents show he has until mid-October to reply.

Alleged COVID-19 violator could lose B.C. condo

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region
Organized events like weddings or conferences will be limited to 10 people, or 50 people outside, unless everyone is fully vaccinated, which can be verified on the province's vaccine passport.

COVID-19 restrictions brought in for B.C. region