Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 10:50 AM
  • B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

The British Columbia government is adding 17 new major investments to its list of priority projects, and Premier David Eby says the recent wrangling over Indigenous rights legislation won't undermine that progress. 

Eby says when companies bring $1 billion into the province, they have a "sophisticated understanding of the jurisdiction" they are walking into, and with instability around the world, these companies are investing in B.C. 

The premier says there's been a lot of misinformation after a court ruled that B.C.'s mineral claims regime was inconsistent with the provincial law that follows the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Eby says companies are investing at record levels, there's never been as much mining exploration activity and investors know that there are strong Indigenous partnerships available in the province. 

He and other government ministers announced on Wednesday that $88 billion in proposed major projects are on track to move forward over the next three years. 

The Look West plan, launched last year, focused on expediting approvals for 18 projects, including several mines and clean energy projects, and Eby says adding 17 more projects is another step toward becoming an independent economy. 

"We have to address the DRIPA issue. No question, we will," Eby said of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

"And the companies know that they have strong Indigenous partnerships, that are working, that they can invest here with certainty, and they are doing that, and it's important for British Columbians to know that because it will impact their lives," Eby told a news conference on Wednesday. 

Since the program launched last year, five major mines have been permitted, including Quintette coal mine, and extension to the Highland Valley Copper mine and Eskay Creek mine. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik
One of the hit men who murdered former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik has received a mandatory life sentence, without the possibility of parole for 20 years. Tanner Fox told the BC Supreme Court hearing in New Westminster on Tuesday that he was sorry, and was "young and dumb" at the time of the hired killing.

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public
Campers can begin planning their return to Jasper National Park less than one year after a devastating wildfire. Parks Canada officials say reservations can be booked starting today for frontcountry camping and self-registration campgrounds will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign
The Fraser Health authority is stepping up its vaccine campaign for the human papillomavirus, now offering it to all eligible students from Grade 6 through 12. The vaccine provides protection against the virus that is a common infection linked to several different types of cancer. 

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down
B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says she is stepping down. Furstenau says she never aspired to be an elected official but is leaving her role as leader of the province's third party feeling a great sense of accomplishment 

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence
The Dutch Supreme Court has rejected online extortionist Aydin Coban's bid to scrap his Canadian sentence for tormenting B.C. teenager Amada Todd.  Coban is a Dutch national who was extradited, tried and given a 13-year sentence in B.C., before being sent back to the Netherlands where he was already serving time for separate offences.

Dutch court rejects bid by Amanda Todd's tormentor to scrap Canadian sentence

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast
A winter storm warning remains in effect for part of B-C's North Coast. The bulletin from Environment Canada spans the Stewart area, north of Prince Rupert, and says heavy snow is expected through Wednesday morning.

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast