Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 10:50 AM
  • B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

The British Columbia government is adding 17 new major investments to its list of priority projects, and Premier David Eby says the recent wrangling over Indigenous rights legislation won't undermine that progress. 

Eby says when companies bring $1 billion into the province, they have a "sophisticated understanding of the jurisdiction" they are walking into, and with instability around the world, these companies are investing in B.C. 

The premier says there's been a lot of misinformation after a court ruled that B.C.'s mineral claims regime was inconsistent with the provincial law that follows the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Eby says companies are investing at record levels, there's never been as much mining exploration activity and investors know that there are strong Indigenous partnerships available in the province. 

He and other government ministers announced on Wednesday that $88 billion in proposed major projects are on track to move forward over the next three years. 

The Look West plan, launched last year, focused on expediting approvals for 18 projects, including several mines and clean energy projects, and Eby says adding 17 more projects is another step toward becoming an independent economy. 

"We have to address the DRIPA issue. No question, we will," Eby said of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

"And the companies know that they have strong Indigenous partnerships, that are working, that they can invest here with certainty, and they are doing that, and it's important for British Columbians to know that because it will impact their lives," Eby told a news conference on Wednesday. 

Since the program launched last year, five major mines have been permitted, including Quintette coal mine, and extension to the Highland Valley Copper mine and Eskay Creek mine. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case
More legal arguments are expected next week in the sexual assault case of five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team as they prepare to face trial this spring. Dillon Dube, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote and Alex Formenton were charged with sexual assault early last year in an incident that allegedly took place in London, Ont., nearly six years earlier.

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that if President Donald Trump wants to usher in a "golden age" for the United States, he'll need the energy, critical minerals and resources that Canada is ready to provide. The federal cabinet is meeting in Montebello, Que., for a retreat focused on the Canada-U. S. trade strategy.

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study
The study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Climate Change, said the change appeared to have taken place in "many tundra regions" and called it a "noteworthy shift in carbon dynamics."

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll
A new poll suggests more than a third of Canadians say they have no choice but to seek health information online because they don’t have access to a doctor, further highlighting challenges posed by an ongoing physician shortage. 

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing
The three frontrunners in the Liberal leadership race have all backed away — to one degree or another — from the Liberal government's keystone climate policy in a bid to take a major Conservative line of attack off the table. The Liberals first campaigned on a carbon price in 2008 and moved to make it happen following Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's election win in 2015.

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing

Donald Trump signals 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports could be coming Feb. 1

Donald Trump signals 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports could be coming Feb. 1
U.S. President Donald Trump suggested his administration could move ahead with with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports on Feb. 1.  He delivered the deadline on Monday evening at the White House as he signed a stack of unrelated executive orders. 

Donald Trump signals 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports could be coming Feb. 1