Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2024 01:35 PM
  • B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

The British Columbia government has appointed Dr. Jatinder Baidwan as the province's new chief coroner following the retirement of Lisa Lapointe earlier this year.

The Ministry of Public Safety says in a statement that Baidwan takes on the role after serving as the chief medical officer for the BC Coroners Service since 2017.

It says Baidwan aims to "enhance" the role of the service, providing data to better inform policymakers and prevent future deaths.

When Lapointe announced her retirement after 13 years in the post, she said she was leaving feeling saddened by her agency's inability to sway policies to reduce what she described as the "tragic impacts" of the illicit drug overdose crisis.

Lapointe said the coroners' service had been "forever altered" by the public health emergency that has killed nearly 15,000 people since April 2016.

The B.C. government statement announcing Baidwan's appointment does not mention the overdose emergency.

It says Baidwan, who is a physician, previously served as chief medical officer for the health authority on Vancouver Island.

The statement says his work at the coroners' service helped to "realign" the agency's operations and created a "comprehensive post-mortem diagnostic services network" throughout B.C.

He also led the agency's work to investigate deaths during the 2021 heat dome that killed more than 600 people, as well as its response to the increase in deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Photo courtesy of X (@BaidwanTaj)

MORE National ARTICLES

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada
Police are on the lookout for a 22-year-old Indian-origin son, who fled after allegedly murdering his father, at their home in Canada's Ontario province. Sukhaj Cheema-Singh is wanted for first-degree murder after 56-year-old Kuldip Singh was found with 'severe injuries' at his Stoney Creek home in Hamilton on Saturday night.

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday
The King of Jordan will visit Canada later this week and meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Prime Minister's Office issued a news release Sunday saying King Abdullah II will be in Ottawa on Wednesday.  

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general
Disregarded policies and a failure of management led to the development of the inordinately costly and much-maligned ArriveCan app, an investigation by Canada's auditor general has found.  The federal government launched the app in April 2020 as a way to track health and contact information for people entering Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic, and to digitize customs and immigration declarations.  

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning in Metro Vancouver. It says a moist Pacific frontal system is expected to bring about 55 millimeters of rain starting Sunday and continuing overnight, before easing this morning. 

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver

Body found in Burnaby

Body found in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby say they have found the body of a 46-year-old man who went missing earlier this month. They say the public appeal for help to find the man was issued on February 1st. The R-C-M-P say investigators do not believe the death is suspicious.

Body found in Burnaby

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year
Former Liberal MP Raj Grewal is seeking millions of dollars in damages from the RCMP and the Ontario attorney general after being acquitted of using his political office for personal gain. In a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court, Grewal's counsel alleges the Mounties were negligent in their investigation and that the Crown breached his right to a fair trial by unreasonably pursuing the prosecution.

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year