Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2024 01:35 PM
  • B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

The British Columbia government has appointed Dr. Jatinder Baidwan as the province's new chief coroner following the retirement of Lisa Lapointe earlier this year.

The Ministry of Public Safety says in a statement that Baidwan takes on the role after serving as the chief medical officer for the BC Coroners Service since 2017.

It says Baidwan aims to "enhance" the role of the service, providing data to better inform policymakers and prevent future deaths.

When Lapointe announced her retirement after 13 years in the post, she said she was leaving feeling saddened by her agency's inability to sway policies to reduce what she described as the "tragic impacts" of the illicit drug overdose crisis.

Lapointe said the coroners' service had been "forever altered" by the public health emergency that has killed nearly 15,000 people since April 2016.

The B.C. government statement announcing Baidwan's appointment does not mention the overdose emergency.

It says Baidwan, who is a physician, previously served as chief medical officer for the health authority on Vancouver Island.

The statement says his work at the coroners' service helped to "realign" the agency's operations and created a "comprehensive post-mortem diagnostic services network" throughout B.C.

He also led the agency's work to investigate deaths during the 2021 heat dome that killed more than 600 people, as well as its response to the increase in deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Photo courtesy of X (@BaidwanTaj)

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating the city's first homicide of this year.  A statement from police says officers were called to a home near East 33rd Avenue and Knight Street just after 1 a.m. Sunday and found a man dead inside.  Police say they arrested a 39-year-old man at the scene.  

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say
Police in Coquitlam are asking for the public's help in identifying two separate drivers suspected of hitting the same pedestrian in alleged hit-and-run crashes. A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says the woman had been walking legally through a crosswalk at the intersection of Pinetree Way and Guildford Way, right across from City Hall, when the first vehicle struck her as it made a turn.

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students
British Columbia's Minister of Post-Secondary Education Selina Robinson says no new institutions will be allowed to enrol international students for two years. Robinson also says the province is setting minimum language requirements so international students are "better prepared" before coming to B.C.  

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says there’s an emerging patter of stability in the commercial real estate market. While sales were down in the third quarter of 2023 compared with the year before, the board says demand for commercial properties is starting to re-emerge. 

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Human remains found in Nanaimo
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say human remains found at a beach on Wednesday have been identified as that of a 35-year-old man reported missing early last month.  Mounties say the remains were found at Neck Point beach.

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel
Canada opted to say as little as possible Friday about an International Court of Justice ruling that ordered Israel to prevent a genocide of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. After hours of silence from the federal government, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly eventually released a statement that did not directly respond to the ruling.

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel