Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2024 01:35 PM
  • B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

The British Columbia government has appointed Dr. Jatinder Baidwan as the province's new chief coroner following the retirement of Lisa Lapointe earlier this year.

The Ministry of Public Safety says in a statement that Baidwan takes on the role after serving as the chief medical officer for the BC Coroners Service since 2017.

It says Baidwan aims to "enhance" the role of the service, providing data to better inform policymakers and prevent future deaths.

When Lapointe announced her retirement after 13 years in the post, she said she was leaving feeling saddened by her agency's inability to sway policies to reduce what she described as the "tragic impacts" of the illicit drug overdose crisis.

Lapointe said the coroners' service had been "forever altered" by the public health emergency that has killed nearly 15,000 people since April 2016.

The B.C. government statement announcing Baidwan's appointment does not mention the overdose emergency.

It says Baidwan, who is a physician, previously served as chief medical officer for the health authority on Vancouver Island.

The statement says his work at the coroners' service helped to "realign" the agency's operations and created a "comprehensive post-mortem diagnostic services network" throughout B.C.

He also led the agency's work to investigate deaths during the 2021 heat dome that killed more than 600 people, as well as its response to the increase in deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Photo courtesy of X (@BaidwanTaj)

MORE National ARTICLES

Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service
Metro Vancouver has been left without most bus services and SeaBus after weekend talks between transit supervisors and the Coast Mountain Bus Company broke down without a deal. TransLink says bus routes operated by Coast Mountain stopped running at 1 a.m. and SeaBus sailings for the morning have also been cancelled.

Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months
Settlement agencies are preparing for the arrival of tens of thousands of Ukrainians before the end-of-March deadline for those fleeing the Russian invasion to enter Canada on emergency visas. The federal government has issued 936,293 temporary emergency visas since March 2022 for Ukrainians who want to work or study in Canada while they wait out the war. A total of 210,178 people had actually made the journey to Canada as of Nov. 28.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody
Surrey RCMP say a man who was wanted on outstanding arrest warrants is in custody. Police said last week they were looking for the 24-year-old, who was allegedly seen in September driving dangerously through Surrey's streets at peak traffic hours.

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer
The union representing transit supervisors in British Columbia's Lower Mainland says it will be “withdrawing all services” on Monday if an agreement with Coast Mountain Bus Company isn't made. CUPE Local 4500, representing more than 180 bus workers, says it has been waiting more than four weeks for Coast Mountain to respond to its latest proposal.    

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow
Police in Abbotsford say a 31-year-old man is dead after being hit by a snowplow this morning. Officers say the man lost control of his vehicle on Highway 1 and went into the ditch.

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says
Four children under the age of 10 who had streptococcal infections have died since mid-December, in what the BC Centre for Disease Control says is part of a surge in such infections. A bulletin released by the centre, the Provincial Health Services Authority and BC Children's Hospital says data from 2023 show a three-fold increase in invasive group A streptococcal infections in people under 20. 

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says