Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. boosts tax credit for developers of video games, virtual reality simulators

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:01 AM
  • B.C. boosts tax credit for developers of video games, virtual reality simulators

The British Columbia government is boosting a tax credit to help developers of video games such as Electronic Arts hire additional staff and invest money locally. 

Premier David Eby said the interactive visual media tax credit will go from 17.5 per cent to 25 per cent starting Sept. 1, which is also when the credit will become permanent to give industry additional certainty.

Speaking at Electronic Arts in Burnaby on Monday, Eby said the changes will help the sector remain competitive as part of a larger economic response to American tariff threats, which was a "wake-up call" for the province to develop an economy that can stand on its "own two feet."

Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said the measures will help B.C. grow its "knowledge economy." 

Bailey said they could have raised the tax credit higher as other provinces have, but chose 25 per cent because B.C. already has a competitive tax system and other factors that attract global talent. 

Government agency Creative BC says the interactive digital media sector, which includes video games, virtual reality and educational software, employs about 20,000 people in the province and adds more than a $1 billion to the economy. 

Government figures show the tax credit program is expected to cost $141 million in 2025-26, $151.3 million in the second year and $180.3 million in year three. 2027-28. 

Natali Altshuler, chief operating officer for EA SPORTS Studios, welcomed the changes. 

Altshuler said the change recognize the value of the industry, adding that it enables companies such as EA to contribute to the provincial economy.

While EA ranks among the giants in the video-game industry, smaller developers are also welcoming the higher tax credit. 

Heidy Motta, the chief operating officer at game studio Coldblood Inc., said in a government news release that increasing the credit to 25 per cent "makes a real difference for indie studios like ours."

The Entertainment Software Association of Canada says B.C. is home to 161 video game companies and 230 immersive technology companies. 

It says almost half of all video game companies in B.C. consist of 10 or fewer people. 

The additional support from the provincial government also raises the question of possible reactions from the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has previously criticized public support for industries from Canadian governments that he perceives to be unfair.

Trump threatened earlier this year a 100 per cent tariffs on foreign-made movies to help bring more productions back to the United States after B.C. announced higher credits in late 2024 to attract and keep more film productions in the province. 

Eby said B.C. made the decision to boost the credit for interactive digital media independently of any possible reactions. 

"We will cross the bridge's reactions when and if they happen," Eby said. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike
A Quebec woman whose father died in British Columbia last month says her family has been unable to properly grieve because the Canada Post strike has left his remains in limbo. Emily Walstrom said her father's cremated remains were put into the mail before Canada Post employees walked off the job on Nov. 15. 

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Robson Square ice rink open for winter
Vancouver's Robson Square ice rink is open for the winter. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says the rink, which draws more than 100-thousand skaters annually, will run seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until Feb. 28, 2025. 

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention