Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. care home report reveals confusion

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jan, 2021 10:28 PM
  • B.C. care home report reveals confusion

A third-party report examining how the British Columbia government responded to COVID-19 in long-term care homes during the first wave of the pandemic reveals confusion over policies and infection prevention.

The report, by Ernst & Young, says specific policy orders from the provincial health officer were interpreted differently by health authorities and there were gaps in infection prevention and control as well as emergency preparedness.

It also highlighted a lack of consistent provincial policy on how health authorities and facility operators handled residents who tested positive for COVID-19.

Ernst & Young did praise the government for its decision to create a health emergency command centre as well as restricting staff from working at multiple long-term care facilities, which it says contributed to stopping the spread of COVID-19 infections in care homes.

But it added that those restrictions also highlighted staffing shortages and other underlying issues.

Health Minister Adrian Dix said last week that his government has implemented all the recommendations in the report and its assessment of the province's actions was "overwhelmingly favourable."

The report was completed last fall and stakeholders and the Opposition Liberals have questioned why it was not released sooner.

More than 650 of B.C.'s over 1,100 deaths from COVID-19 have been in long-term care facilities.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues
New modelling released on Friday anticipates the COVID-19 death toll could hit nearly 15,000 by Christmas Day, while case counts are projected to climb to as many as 12,000 per day by the start of January.

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban
Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal and Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy are among those expressing support for the ban, which will be phased in beginning next year.

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people
Dr. Bonnie Henry says all but two of the 28 fatalities occurred in long-term care homes, and 587 people have now died in B.C. since the start of the pandemic.

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people

WATCH: Raj Chouhan speaks about his new role as Speaker of the House in BC chambers

WATCH: Raj Chouhan speaks about his new role as Speaker of the House in BC chambers
On this historic feat he told DARPAN "There was a time when people of color were not even allowed to enter this building, let alone the chamber which I will be presiding over now." "Its a long journey and I am so grateful and say thank you to all those people who went before us and did all this for us!"

WATCH: Raj Chouhan speaks about his new role as Speaker of the House in BC chambers

B.C. money laundering final report will be delayed

B.C. money laundering final report will be delayed
British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Austin Cullen has released an interim report detailing the progress of the inquiry since hearings started last October, but he says he needs more time beyond the May 15 deadline set to release recommendations to the B.C. government.

B.C. money laundering final report will be delayed

Lululemon Q3 profits grow to US$143.6 million

Lululemon Q3 profits grow to US$143.6 million
The Vancouver-based clothing retailer, which reports in U.S. dollars, earned $1.10 per diluted share for the three months ended Nov. 1, up from 96 cents per share or $126 million a year earlier.

Lululemon Q3 profits grow to US$143.6 million