Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings in two areas of BC

Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings in two areas of BC
Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings in two areas of B-C. The weather agency says up to 20 centimetres of snow is forecasted for inland sections of the Central Coast region including Bella Coola.  

Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings in two areas of BC

Trans Mountain pipeline expansion delayed for 2 years

Trans Mountain pipeline expansion delayed for 2 years
Trans Mountain is warning the completion of its pipeline expansion project through B-C may be delayed by two years due to a federal regulator decision. The company says the Canada Energy Regulator rejected a request for a pipeline variance through a 2.3-kilometre stretch of complex, hard rock conditions.

Trans Mountain pipeline expansion delayed for 2 years

House of Commons rises after tumultuous fall sitting, begins six-week winter break

House of Commons rises after tumultuous fall sitting, begins six-week winter break
The House of Commons has wrapped up its work for 2023 after an intense fall sitting, with MPs returning to their ridings for a six-week holiday break. A gun-control bill that enshrines a handgun freeze and a bill that lifts GST charges off rental developments and amends the country's competition law both crossed the finish line in Parliament this week. 

House of Commons rises after tumultuous fall sitting, begins six-week winter break

$115 M funding deal could help build 40,000 homes in Vancouver over decade: Trudeau

$115 M funding deal could help build 40,000 homes in Vancouver over decade: Trudeau
The announcement came on Friday after the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. said housing starts in Canada fell 22 per cent in November, with starts down 39 per cent in Vancouver. Fraser said of the Vancouver deal that the cash from the government's Housing Accelerator Fund would cut barriers to building homes and "incentivize changes" at the municipal level

$115 M funding deal could help build 40,000 homes in Vancouver over decade: Trudeau

Assault charge for RCMP sergeant over alleged incident at Coquitlam detachment

Assault charge for RCMP sergeant over alleged incident at Coquitlam detachment
An RCMP officer has been charged with assault stemming from an incident in the Coquitlam, British Columbia, detachment a year ago. The BC Prosecution Service says in a release that Sgt. Antonio Guerrero Jr. is facing one count of assault after the charge was approved on Thursday.

Assault charge for RCMP sergeant over alleged incident at Coquitlam detachment

Online News Act funding capped for private broadcasters, CBC: regulations

Online News Act funding capped for private broadcasters, CBC: regulations
Final regulations for the Online News Act show the amount of funding private broadcasters will get through the government's $100-million deal with Google will be limited, with an even lower cap for the CBC. The regulations released on Friday say CBC/Radio-Canada will get no more than a $7-million share of the annual fund, while another $30 million at most will be reserved for other broadcasters.

Online News Act funding capped for private broadcasters, CBC: regulations