Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Declares State Of Emergency Over Wildfires

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Aug, 2018 10:30 AM
    VICTORIA — The British Columbia government has declared a provincial state of emergency to support the response to the hundreds of wildfires burning across the province.
     
     
    The state of emergency will remain in effect for 14 days, but can be extended or rescinded as necessary.
     
     
    Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the state of emergency applies to the entire province and ensures federal, provincial and local resources can be delivered in a co-ordinated manner.
     
     
    Farnworth declared the emergency based on recommendations from the BC Wildfire Service and emergency management officials.
     
     
    The province says 566 wildfires were burning across B.C. as of Tuesday, with evacuation orders covering more than 1,500 properties and affecting about 3,000 people.
     
     
    The wildfire service says more than 1,800 wildfires have been recorded since the season began on April 1, charring nearly 3,800-square kilometres of timber and bush. 
     
     
    Farnworth says he ordered the provincewide state of emergency to protect public safety.
     
     
    "As wildfire activity is expected to increase, this is a progressive step in our wildfire response to make sure British Columbia has access to any and all resources necessary," Farnworth, who is also the province's solicitor general, says in a news release.
     
     
     
     
    The federal government has approved the deployment of about 200 members of the Armed Forces to help with firefighting efforts, and the province says those troops are expected in the coming days.
     
     

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA

    Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA
    Canadian home sales fell 14.5 per cent between December and January, marking the lowest sales level in three years as the housing market was hit last month by a double whammy of tighter mortgage rules and lending rate hikes.

    Home Sales Fall Across Canada To Reach Their Lowest Level In 3 Years: CREA

    Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen

    Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen
    OTTAWA — Next steps for Canada's policy on taking medical conditions into account when accepting or rejecting permanent residents will be laid out by mid-April, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Thursday.

    Plan For Reform To Medical Inadmissibility Policy Coming In April: Ahmed Hussen

    PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play

    PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play
    At a recent formal dinner, the Sikh Riders of Canada Club donated $10,000 to Kids Play, a non profit organization working towards keeping kids away from the lifestyle of drugs, gangs, and violence. 

    PICS: Sikh Riders Of Canada Club Donates $10,000 To Kids Play

    WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers

    WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers
    In order to resolve the issue of posting the lecturers, Punjab Technical Education Minister Charanjit Singh Channi decided to toss a coin.

    WATCH: Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Flips Coin To Decide On Posting Of Lecturers

    Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside

    Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside
    There has been a noticeable decrease in street disorder and violent crime in the Downtown Eastside since Vancouver Police began a new safety initiative in the area on January 28. 

    Vancouver Police Say Increased Patrols Making A Difference In Downtown Eastside

    Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home

    Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home
    Coquitlam –On Friday, February 9th, at 8:23 p.m. the Coquitlam RCMP were called to a home in the 600 block of Poirier St. for a report of an interrupted break and enter.

    Coquitlam Police Seeking Witnesses To An Interrupted Break And Enter To A Home