Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2022 05:47 PM
  • B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

VICTORIA - British Columbia is retracting plans to scrap individualized funding for children with an autism diagnosis, a proposal that had sparked criticism from parents.

The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

Eby says the government will maintain individualized funding instead of phasing it out in 2025, under a plan announced in October 2021.

Eby and Dean say the government is committed to "engaging in deeper consultation" with parents, caregivers and others.

Julia Boyle, executive director of AutismBC, says in a statement that parents will be "incredibly relieved" to keep direct autism funding and service providers who already support their children.

B.C. was planning to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, to provide services, instead of directly funding parents, but that has been paused with the exception of four pilot locations.

Families of children with autism have said they would have lost funding of up to $22,000 a year until children turned six, then $6,000 annually to age 18.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave
Mark was the minister for tourism, arts, culture and sport. She will continue to represent the riding of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant in the legislature. Mark is the first First Nations woman elected to B.C.'s legislative assembly, and the first to serve as a cabinet minister.

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year
New data from the service cites 169 drug deaths last month, representing a 12 per cent decrease from July, and equating to about 5.5 deaths per day. It says illicit drug toxicity is the leading cause of unnatural death in B.C., with an average of 184 drug deaths each month since October 2020.

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall
Officials said during a technical briefing today that pressures on the health system including staffing shortages are being factored into planning for hospital bed capacity. This is expected to be the first season the flu has a significant comeback since pandemic restrictions dampened the spread of it and other respiratory illnesses over the past two years.

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole
The victim was injured and required medical attention, however the injuries are not life threatening. Several officers flooded the area in search of the suspect, however he has not yet been located.

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey
With a rapidly growing population, the Mayor and Safe Surrey Coalition recognize the need for more infrastructure across the City of Surrey. Recently announcing his plan to build a new swimming pool for residents living in Cloverdale and Clayton at the Clayton Community Centre, Mayor Doug McCallum has now turned his attention to North Surrey. 

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault
 54-year-old, Olumuyiwa Bamgbade was charged with one count of sexual assault. Doctor Bamgbade has been operating the pain clinic in Surrey since October 2021 and prior to that practiced in Delta, BC. 

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault