Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2022 05:47 PM
  • B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

VICTORIA - British Columbia is retracting plans to scrap individualized funding for children with an autism diagnosis, a proposal that had sparked criticism from parents.

The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

Eby says the government will maintain individualized funding instead of phasing it out in 2025, under a plan announced in October 2021.

Eby and Dean say the government is committed to "engaging in deeper consultation" with parents, caregivers and others.

Julia Boyle, executive director of AutismBC, says in a statement that parents will be "incredibly relieved" to keep direct autism funding and service providers who already support their children.

B.C. was planning to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, to provide services, instead of directly funding parents, but that has been paused with the exception of four pilot locations.

Families of children with autism have said they would have lost funding of up to $22,000 a year until children turned six, then $6,000 annually to age 18.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting
At approximately 4:30pm, on Sunday, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of shots fired in the 12300 block of 68thavenue. Responding officers attended and found shots fired into a residence and confirmed there were no injuries.

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal
The Finance Ministry says the deal is between the Public School Employers' Association and school presidents' councils representing 57 locals of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.  

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment
VPD patrol officers launched a criminal investigation earlier this week after receiving information illicit drugs and weapons were being stored inside a tent near Main and Hastings. 5 people were arrested. The investigation remains ongoing.

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later
A Parole Board of Canada decision says 40-year-old Kerry Sim, who was formerly known as Kelly Ellard, has been authorized to remain on day parole but with numerous conditions. Sim was 15 years old when she and a group of teenagers swarmed and beat Virk, and her trial heard she and a co-accused later followed the 14-year-old girl to continue the beating and drown her in the Gorge waterway.  

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech
Horgan told local elected leaders at the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention that he wasn't there to make splashy funding announcements, which he called lolly, but rather to start or continue collaborative initiatives aimed at bringing results. 

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton
Police say they are working to identify two suspects, they are described as South Asian youths believed to be between 15 and 17 years old, who left the area before police arrived. They say one of the suspects may have sustained superficial injures during the altercation.

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton