Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2022 05:47 PM
  • B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

VICTORIA - British Columbia is retracting plans to scrap individualized funding for children with an autism diagnosis, a proposal that had sparked criticism from parents.

The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

Eby says the government will maintain individualized funding instead of phasing it out in 2025, under a plan announced in October 2021.

Eby and Dean say the government is committed to "engaging in deeper consultation" with parents, caregivers and others.

Julia Boyle, executive director of AutismBC, says in a statement that parents will be "incredibly relieved" to keep direct autism funding and service providers who already support their children.

B.C. was planning to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, to provide services, instead of directly funding parents, but that has been paused with the exception of four pilot locations.

Families of children with autism have said they would have lost funding of up to $22,000 a year until children turned six, then $6,000 annually to age 18.

MORE National ARTICLES

Smoky skies in southern B.C. as wildfires continue

Smoky skies in southern B.C. as wildfires continue
Environment Canada has posted air-quality statements for the Fraser Valley and a large section of southeastern B.C., while haze is also expected across Metro Vancouver on Saturday. The BC Wildfire Service says a lightning-caused blaze sparked in northern Washington state last month now covers 70 square kilometres, including nearly 31 square kilometres that have burned in Manning Park.

Smoky skies in southern B.C. as wildfires continue

Ottawa approves Pfizer vaccine for youngest kids

Ottawa approves Pfizer vaccine for youngest kids
It's the second vaccine to be approved for that age group, after Health Canada approved Moderna's Spikevax shot in July. Health Canada says it is approving a three-dose primary series of the vaccine for children under five, with three weeks between the first and second doses and eight weeks between the second and third doses.

Ottawa approves Pfizer vaccine for youngest kids

With the death of Queen Elizabeth II, what happens to our bills and coins?

With the death of Queen Elizabeth II, what happens to our bills and coins?
The government will likely keep the Queen on the $20 bill for a while before any changes are made, however.  The Royal Canadian Mint, which manufactures and distributes Canada's coins, said the government has exclusive jurisdiction over their design.

With the death of Queen Elizabeth II, what happens to our bills and coins?

Charges laid in UBC crash that killed two students

Charges laid in UBC crash that killed two students
Eighteen-year-olds Evan Smith and Emily Selwood were walking near the university student residences at the Point Grey campus early on Sept. 26, 2021, when a vehicle veered up onto the sidewalk and hit them and a parked car before stopping. Smith and Selwood died at the scene.  

Charges laid in UBC crash that killed two students

WATCH: Darpan Cruiser In Your City presents Ganesh Utsav | PNE Fair | Back to School

WATCH: Darpan Cruiser In Your City presents Ganesh Utsav | PNE Fair | Back to School
Darpan Cruiser In Your City brings you highlights from some incredible events that took place over the weekend. The events featured the best of what the Lower Mainland has to offer in terms of entertainment, culture, music and much more.

WATCH: Darpan Cruiser In Your City presents Ganesh Utsav | PNE Fair | Back to School

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire
The fire destroyed a two-storey building that housed the church and a convenience store and threatened the seven-storey Maple Hotel, temporarily displacing vulnerable residents. Const. Tania Visintin says investigators believe each of the three knew of the arson and had time to either put out the fire or call for help.  

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire