Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 04:55 PM
  • B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

A Vancouver Island school district says an elementary school teacher has been charged with accessing child pornography.

Court records show the man faces a charge for an offence alleged to have been committed last March in Central Saanich, B.C.

The Sooke School District says it has employed the teacher since 2016, and he most recently worked as a music teacher at David Cameron Elementary and Wishart Elementary before then.

However, it says "due to unrelated circumstances," the man has not been in the classroom during the 2024-2025 school year.

The district says it "took immediate action" by suspending the teacher when it learned of the charges on Feb. 5, adding that he is not authorized to teach under the Teacher Regulation Branch while the matter is under review. 

The teacher is scheduled to appear in court in Victoria next month.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms
BC Hydro says it has restored power to 90 per cent of customers who lost electricity this week when hurricane-force winds slammed into parts of the British Columbia coast, but forecasters say a new storm is on the way. Winds from the so-called bomb cyclone weather system exceeded 100 km/h in some places Wednesday, with Environment Canada data showing remote Sartine Island off northern Vancouver Island hit by the most powerful gusts of the day, reaching 113 km/h.

BC Hydro says most power outages fixed after bomb cyclone, but new storm looms

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST
The GST break would begin Dec. 14 and end Feb. 15. The Liberals say it will apply to a number of items including children's clothing and shoes, toys, diapers, restaurant meals and beer and wine. It also applies to Christmas trees, a variety of snack foods and beverages, and video game consoles.

Federal government plans to give $250 cheques to millions of Canadians, cut GST

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash
Mounties on Vancouver Island say they are investigating a single-vehicle crash that left "multiple" people injured.  Sidney North Saanich RCMP say officers were called to a shopping plaza in Sidney at about 2:30 p.m. 

B.C. RCMP say multiple victims injured in single vehicle crash

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial
The prosecution is expecting to wrap up its case today in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling at the border between Manitoba and Minnesota. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from several border crossings in 2021 and 2022.

More medical, law enforcement testimony expected in human smuggling trial

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras
Surrey R-C-M-P says they will announce the rollout of body-worn cameras today.  The rollout will be the largest deployment in the province with more than three-thousand cameras expected. 

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person
A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person