Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 02:45 PM
  • B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate says the province is falling behind in meeting the basic needs of its older residents.

Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt says in a report that despite some investments in services for seniors, there are troubling statistics surrounding health care, long-term care, home care, housing, transportation and community services.

While there are some positives in the report, such as seniors living longer and staying healthy longer, he says the numbers tell a story of a system failing to meet seniors' needs.

He says the concerns mount as the number of seniors in B.C. grows, rising 45 per cent in the last decade to more than a million people, with forecasts that a quarter of the provincial population will be over 65 years old by 2035.

Levitt says the report shows wait-lists for knee and hip replacements for seniors have increased by more than 50 per cent in the last five years. 

Almost 6,500 seniors were waiting for publicly subsidized long-term care beds in the last year, which he says is an increase of 250 per cent over the last five years.

MORE National ARTICLES

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general
Michael Pickup says in a statement the investigation looked into accounting firm MNP's handling of Advanced Research and Commercialization grant applications, reviewing "a significant amount of information" from the company, the government and all applicants.

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment
The British Columbia government is expanding access to drug-addiction treatment by launching a confidential and free phone line offering same-day connections to doctors and health-care professionals. The Opioid Treatment Access Line can connect people in need with a team of doctors and nurses who are available seven-days-a-week to prescribe life-saving opioid agonist medications. 

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control
The number of out-of-control wildfires continues to drop in British Columbia on the heels of a cold front bringing rain and fall-like temperatures to many areas. About 280 blazes remain active across the province with 15 per cent or just over 40 of those fires classified as burning out of control.

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP
A 29-year-old man has been arrested after what police say was a violent carjacking outside the Prince George Airport. Prince George RCMP say the elderly driver suffered serious injuries when the vehicle crashed and he was thrown from the scene.

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters
Cellphone use will be restricted in all British Columbia school districts when pupils return next week, as the province becomes the latest to curtail the use of the devices in classrooms. Premier David Eby says all school districts now have policies in place to ban cellphone use "bell to bell," in line with a government directive announced in April.

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires
Nearly 3,800 people from First Nations in Saskatchewan and Manitoba remain out of their homes due to nearby wildfires. The Canadian Red Cross says it's supporting more than 2,300 from the remote community of Bunibonibee Cree Nation in northeastern Manitoba, offering lodging, food, transportation and supplies.

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires