Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study
The Media Ecosystem Observatory study published today finds that Canadians’ total engagement with news content on social media has been reduced by 43 per cent, despite efforts to increase social media engagement on other platforms.

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather
A wildfire rampaging through Jasper National Park remains out of control as crews work to reduce the risk of it spreading. Parks Canada says sprinklers have been installed on some buildings north of the park's townsite, as fire activity is expected to increase.

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

BC smuggler convicted

BC smuggler convicted
A failed plan to smuggle hundreds of kilograms of methamphetamine to Vancouver Island has resulted in a conviction in Seattle for an American man. A jury in U-S District Court found John Sherwood guilty of conspiracy to distribute drugs, possession of drugs and conspiracy to commit international money laundering in the April 2021 scheme.

BC smuggler convicted

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Suspicious fire at Surrey home
Police on Vancouver Island say they have arrested a suspect after a suspicious fire at a home in Sidney. R-C-M-P say officers responded just before 2 p-m yesterday. They say the blaze required a response from the North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich Fire Departments.

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Home invasion in Port Moody

Home invasion in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say a man has been changed over allegations he tried to steal cryptocurrency in a violent home invasion earlier this year.  Officers were called by a third-party to request a check on the well-being of a family on April 28th and found multiple victims who needed treatment for several injuries. 

Home invasion in Port Moody