Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree
Police in Nanaimo say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway. Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in
Some former candidates complained that the Conservatives were being infiltrated by the Official Opposition — whose leader Kevin Falcon ended his party's campaign last Wednesday — and at least one said they planned to run as an independent.

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing
The Better Business Bureau is calling for businesses to be vigilant after a series of reported phishing attacks. The B-B-B says it has received calls from a number of B-C businesses about attempts made through e-mail or text to give up trademark information.

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Alleged arrest in series of crimes
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested after allegedly committing a series of crimes over the long weekend including stealing and crashing a car. Police say they received calls yesterday afternoon of the suspect wielding a machete and breaking windows while assaulting people in the 21-hundred block of Duggan Road.

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins
Most HandyDART trips in Metro Vancouver have been cancelled as unionized workers for the specialized transit service begin a strike. Regional transport provider TransLink says in an online notice that most HandyDART trips are cancelled due to the job action but the service is still available for people with medical conditions who need to get to appointments for cancer, renal or multiple sclerosis treatments.

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll
When August rolled around, April Hicke realized the $100 she typically gives her 13-year-old son to update his wardrobe in time for school to start was no longer enough. Hicke increased her son's budget to $200, taught him about looking for deals and used an annual Patagonia sale and resale sites like Poshmark to find savings on such big-ticket items as winter coats.

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll