Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:40 PM
  • B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

Just days after being appointed to their new jobs, three members of the British Columbia government are off to California to promote the province as a hot spot for film production. 

Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

The trip to Los Angeles will include Chandra Herbert, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey and Nina Krieger, the Parliamentary secretary for arts and film. 

The B.C. government currently offers a 28 per cent production services credit to both domestic and foreign film and TV producers, and Premier David Eby pledged to increase the credits to 36 per cent during his election campaign. 

Eby reassured the film industry following his re-election last month, saying the government "is in your corner," and it  commits to ensuring that the B.C. film sector stays competitive. 

A joint statement from the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Tourism says the timing of the government visit is crucial since it will offer studio decision-makers the information they need for production planning.

B.C. has been a hot spot for U.S. film and television production, such as season two of the popular post-apocalyptic TV series "The Last of Us," which was filmed in dozens of locations across the province. 

The government says the film industry is supporting more than 47,500 jobs and brought $3.3 billion to B.C.'s total GDP in 2022. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate
Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight
The BC Wildfire Service said on social media that the international personnel are expected to arrive on Friday, as hot, dry conditions persist in the province and the number of active wildfires hovers around 150. It said the two 15-person incident management teams will then be briefed and given their first assignments. 

Firefighting crews from Australia and New Zealand on the way to help B.C. fire fight

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis
Provincial labs in B.C. are testing out artificial intelligence for more rapid disease diagnosis, including cancer. The province says in a statement that the new digital tools will allow researchers to “securely share high-quality images” in other B.C. locations, helping them to perform a faster diagnoses or get a second opinion. 

B.C. government is testing out AI tools for rapid disease diagnosis

Beach art mischief

Beach art mischief
Mounties in West Shore say a man has been arrested after setting fire to the mammoth statue at Royal Bay Beach.  Police say they responded to a call Monday at 7 a-m after a man who experienced a mental health crisis started a fire at the Esquimalt Lagoon.

Beach art mischief

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head
R-C-M-P say the attacker swung the knives at the man, attempting to stab him, but the large dog lunged and bit him before the dog's owner used his martial arts training to incapacitate the other man and take control of the knives.

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random
Winnipeg police are investigating a shooting in the parking lot of a soccer complex that left a 22-year-old man dead. Police say they were called to the scene late Saturday night, after the final game of the Canada African Cup of Nations soccer tournament, and found a man with gunshot wounds.

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random